10. Wake Up Call

CHAPTER 10 WAKE UP CALL "¡"

—-
Ż
—-

Kittens.

It's the only thing that came in mind when I woke up. Kittens and the headache that was coming over me. Not the same cocaine-hangover fueled one from before but one echoing a bad nights rest. My neck felt hitched, my arms stiff, I wanted to pop every bone in my body. My mind felt so fuzzy.

I guess passing out on the floor would do that to a person, even if the floor felt like a mattress covered in silk sheets.

But as much of the pulsating sensation on my skull irked me, for all intents and purpose, I didn't feel awful. I could still feel the booze doing circles in my guts, the coke doing rounds in my blood but it was lighter... I felt lighter.

I turned over on my stomach, already feeling the intense ray of the sun, shining on my closed eyelids. I must be back on the estate and Elixio probably had me tracked down and scrapped the puddle that was me from the floorboards. Probably pumped my gut out too while he was at it.

Elixio was ever vigilant, the perfect subordinate. He would protect the Sualk legacy at all cost, even if the legacy didn't want to be protected, much less continued.

"You wouldn't understand, Elixio. You're satisfied with your existence, you don't question what you are, what you do, why you do it... You're just.. just sated to breath for another day with the same oxygen from yesterday."

I cringed into the bed sheets. As much of a blur, yesterday was, I still remembered that. I sounded like a petulant child, an angsty teenager. Declaring war on my genetics, hating my self for my sole creation. Useless, trivial tasks. There's no use fighting in what is, is. None.

And drugs and cracked up girls aren't going to get me there, they'll kill me faster before I'd even start the fighting.

Better to suffer silently than suffer obnoxiously, as Yules always says.

On the subject, I should probably contact Yules and ask him about the deal between the Peruvian village for a protective demon as I'd left him to negotiate it by himself all those weeks ago. Yes, I need to get up, take a shower, drink some coffee, eat a meal, be productive.

Being away from my duties gave me too much time to think too deeply, confusing me. Getting back on the grind will set me right, as it always does. As it always will.

As it always has.

I pushed my self off the bed, scratching at the tingling sensations on my skull. Kittens came into mind again but I had no understanding of what that meant. I don't even own a cat. I don't think I even like them. I wonder if I had scraped my head when I passed out, it felt so tender.

As I got up, I reached for the glass of water that was on the bedside table and the folded note with a pill on top.

Not caring what it was I popped it in my mouth with a gulp of water as I read th e note.

"Master Klaus, I hope you're feeling better from your vacation. I've left you an aspirin as I suspect you may awaken with a headache after last night activities. Please join me for breakfast once you've readied yourself. I have someone very special that I'd like you to formally meet.

- Your faithful servant, Elixio"

Someone special? I swallowed the pilled water as it came down my throat, cringing when I tasted chocolate in my mouth instead of the chalk of the pill. Did I eat sweets before I passed out? I can't even remember the last human food I've eaten since I left the estate. I'd been running solely off of the women I fucked. And none of them tasted like chocolate, I remember that distinctly. Drugs make you taste bitter, like lime.