Chapter 5: Lady Mercenary

"My name is Hani Amber, and I'm a freelance mercenary that's currently headed towards Algus." Hani, the beastkin woman, introduced herself the next morning when Fumiko had finally woken up. And as she spotted the solidly built woman in front of her, she had to resist the urge to reach forward and pet Hani's ears which had white tufts on them despite the rest of the woman's hair being black. The mercenary had amber eyes just like Fumiko, though they looked feral in a way that she couldn't explain. "I don't know the name of the man on the bed, but he's the only merc other than me that survived our last contract of clearing out a den of saber cats, so he's the same as me. And again, I've very thankful that you allowed us to take shelter here last night."

"I am too. I had no idea how terrifying it is out there at night." Fumiko agreed readily, and not for the first time, she was extremely grateful to her past self for not just settling for a tent.

"May I ask for your name?" Hani asked with the small imp only now realizing that she was being rude.

"I am she who has fallen into the icy abyss and returned stronger. I am Kagome Fumiko, Master of Magic and Seeker of Hope!" Fumiko stood, withdrew Arashi and spun before striking a pose as she finished introducing herself.

"R-right..." Hani replied with an obviously forced smile. "So... Kogome. May I ask where your parents are? It's dangerous for a girl as young as yourself to be out in the wilderness alone."

"It's 'Kagome', but please just call me Fumiko. And to answer your question, my mother is hidden from me by the everlasting vale, my father rots upon his throne of misdeeds and my aunt and uncle are an entire world away." She answered. 

"Please answer clearly... I'm really tired and can't keep up with your game." Hani asked as politely as she could. However, even if the woman seemed to be exhausted, there was no excuse for her rudeness.

"T- This isn't a game! I am a Master of Magic and I'm currently headed to Algus myself." Fumiko harrumphed at her house guest. "And before you ask, I can take care of myself."

"Listen, your ability to create things seems interesting and I can't deny how helpful it is, but you can't just rely on that power to protect yourself." Hani attempted to reason with her.

"Imbecile! Are you deaf? I am a Master of Magic, a Master of Magic! I walk down the path arcane, I gaze through the ethereal light and I follow the stars to find hope! There are no limits to my power!" Fumiko declared while moving her arms in an extravagant fashion.

"Says the girl who passed out last night after pouring some water." Hani replied with a completely straight face.

"I- I'd been using magic all day and I was tired!" Fumiko defended herself. "If you need proof, then I'll go outside right now and see if the monsters really left us alone!"

"No, absolutely not!" Hani replied immediately while standing up. "I can't let a child like you go out there until I've made sure that it's safe."

"Aren't you fairly young yourself?" Fumiko asked. "You're like, twenty-something, right? You still have a long life ahead of you, so you shouldn't be so willing to jeopardize- Itai! Itai! Itai!"

"I'm fifteen, you little brat!" Hani was beside Fumiko in a flash before the mercenary began grinding her knuckles into the sides of her head. "Now, if you're so powerful, stay in here and guard Mr. Sleepyhead over there while I go outside and make sure that it's clear!"

"Fine. Then just make sure to scream if they start eating you and I'll come to your rescue." Fumiko said before she stuck out her tongue out at the woman, though Hani didn't reply before she drew the long sword that was at her hip and slowly pulled up on the lever that latched the door closed. And while she'd almost expected for the lever to be too bent to work anymore, Fumiko was thankful that the monsters hadn't focused on the door as much as the walls as it soon opened and Hani slowly walked outside before closing the door behind her. And while Fumiko wanted more than anything to run forward and latch it again, she knew that she couldn't seeing as the mercenary could need back inside quickly before she summoned her staff and pointed it at the door just in case a monster walked through it instead of Hani. And when it finally started creaking open again without the woman stating that it was her, Fumiko was prepared.