Chapter 36: Hard at Work

"Come on! Come oooon!" Fumiko yelled as she struggled against the plant, leaning backwards to try to let her weight aid in her attempt before the weed's stem finally broke and she fell backwards into the others that she'd already removed from the garden. Though while pulling weeds might seem like a rather safe yet boring quest to accept, it was proving dangerous for her as the plants refused to cooperate with some of them even being able to recede into the ground if she let them go. However, she had no choice but to play tug-of-war with them seeing as a golem that she'd attempted to make to help her before had ripped the nearby flowers and herbs out of the ground as well. Though it was at least useful in digging up the roots of the weeds whenever Fumiko found them and destroyed their stems.

"Here's another one." Fumiko instructed as she got to her feet and the golem, which was about half her height, responded immediately by turning its arm into a spade before beginning to dig out the roots. And thankfully it seemed to be one of the last weeds that she would have to conquer before Fumiko began to walk back through the small garden which resided right alongside the client's house in order to make sure that she'd got them all. However, when she suddenly heard a scream, she turned in the direction that the frightened middle-aged woman who had posted the request was facing before she let out a small shout of surprise herself seeing as the weeds had somehow burrowed into her creation and had completely taken over her golem while also somehow mutating thanks to the magic inside of it. However, while facing three fast-moving venus flytraps that were big enough to eat small children might have been scary for some people, all Fumiko could think about was fixing her mistake quickly before someone got hurt.

"Frost Bolt!" Fumiko shouted with an orb of ice shooting out of her hand immediately afterward before it hit the golem and freezing both it and the plants solid. Though, just to make sure that it was dead, she quickly summoned Arashi before she began beating the frozen golem plant monster with her staff until it was nothing but gravel. Though seeing as she couldn't be sure that it wouldn't just take root again once thawed out, she finished it off by covering her former creation in a bonfire.

"Quest- Quest complete..." Fumiko reported while out of breath seeing as she'd put all of her effort into destroying the plant monster. And while the woman wouldn't accept the job being done while there were still scorch marks in her garden, once they were cleaned, Fumiko accepted the completion card and pulled a list from her satchel which held the other quests that she'd taken that day that she still needed to complete. And thankfully the list was the only thing in her satchel now save for a few copper coins seeing as she'd moved everything else that she didn't need into Buru. But now that pulling weeds was finished, she hurried across the city and introduced herself to the manager of a general store before she bought and enchanted several brooms so that she could have brooms that cleaned by themselves for all of her future quests. Though once sweeping the general store and its warehouse was completed and she accepted the completion card, she hurried to Algus's western gate and spoke to the guards stationed there before using her magic to fill all of the potholes and ruts in the road with stone.

After completing the quest from the guardsmen, Fumiko watered Fred's crop field again while also completing another quest for walking three small dogs while she waited for the rain to finish watering the crops. However, by the time she was finished, she was exhausted and the afternoon sun was already beginning to set before she got the last of her completion cards and headed back to the guild. Though while the building was still as noisy as ever as several parties of adventurers celebrated the day's completed quests, Fumiko didn't care about the noise at the moment as she headed directly towards the receptionists where Jennifer smiled warmly at her.

"Welcome back, Fumiko. Did you manage to finish any of the quests that you took this morning?" Jennifer asked.

"All of them, somehow." Fumiko replied while giving the receptionist an exhausted smile before putting the small stack of completion cards that she'd gained on the edge of the counter above her.

"You're incredible, Fumiko! At this rate, it won't be long before you have a chance at becoming an F-Rank adventurer!" Jennifer enthused before taking the stack of cards.

"Yaaay." She replied while too tired to show any real enthusiasm, though this was the result that she wanted seeing as better quests earned better rewards and she wouldn't have to take bundles of quests every day in order to make some profit. Because with her expenses rising now that Hani wasn't paying for her dinner or their room at the inn, it was now up to her and the money that she got from the quests to support herself. And while only one quest was needed in order to break even with the expenses and the fact that shed just completed five of them, she figured that she had a decent amount of profit which she eventually planned on using to buy a plot of land so that she could build a home of her own. One that she could turn into an item just like her other equipment, of course, so that she would never have to stay in one place if she didn't want to. However, having only made eight silver and thirty-copper if she counted what it took to stay a night at the Clawford Inn, she knew that it would be a while before that could ever happen.

"Fumiko! Come and drink with us!" Tia, one of the few female adventurers in Algus who was an archer by the looks of it judging from the leather armor and bow slung across her shoulders, called out while raising a beer mug above her head.

"I'll have Rockberry juice please!" Fumiko replied while thinking that juice sounded incredibly good at the moment.

"One juice for the little lady, hold the alcohol!" Tia relayed the order to guild's barkeep who already seemed to be waiting for her with a full glass.

"Here's your reward. You may count it out in order to confirm the amount, if you'd like." Jennifer offered.

"Don't worry, I trust you with it." Fumiko replied with a smile before taking her reward and walking towards the tavern part of the guild. Though while the adventurers thankfully let her pay for her juice and take it from the bar first, she soon found herself being pulled into their drunken celebration as they all raised their glasses and toasted to a hard day's work. And for her first time on Hail, she wholeheartedly joined in with the celebration seeing as she couldn't agree with their reason for it more.