Chapter 37: Rank F

"Congratulations, Fumiko! You're now a Rank F adventurer!" Jennifer congratulated her after three days of doing non-stop quests. Though as the receptionist announced it, everyone in the nearby tavern let out an extremely loud cheer as well before toasting towards her with their beer mugs.

"Didn't you say that I would have to ask Rail for a combat test before I could rank up?" Fumiko asked curiously.

"I did, but after seeing what you could do during your entry test... Well, those that normally handle the exam already said that you can pass."

"Oh, then that's great! Rank F means that I can participate in subjugation quests now, right?!" Fumiko asked excitedly. "I want to start one of those!"

"Well... There's a few that you can take on, but you're still not allowed to go after anything really dangerous." Jennifer replied hesitantly.

"What classified as 'really dangerous?'" Fumiko asked.

"We'll mark all quests with their required ranks, so you'll be able to see which ones that you're allowed to do." The receptionist replied. "But please be careful because even if the monsters are weaker, it is still dangerous to face them."

"Fear not for my magic can decimate any foe!" She assured the woman before Fumiko turned and headed towards the billboards again. Though after looking through all of the posted quests while hoping that there was a subjugation quest that she could take, she was in luck as she eventually found one and used Arashi lift herself up so that she could take it before bringing it back to the counter where Jennifer was still standing.

"I found one!" Fumiko announced happily.

"Oh, a request for wisp powder! It isn't a subjugation request, but monster material collecting is quite similar." Jennifer explained while smiling. "I'd nearly forgotten that it was still there, but it should be perfect for you!"

"So what do I have to do to get the powder and who do I have to bring it to?" Fumiko asked excitedly.

"You don't have to worry about any of that because the client gave us an enchanted collection box which will automatically gather any wisp essence that drops nearby and teleport it to them. Though the best part is that it'll transfer the payment for each pound of powder collected to the guild from the client's bank account as soon as the transfer happens." Jennifer stated happily. "They said that it will be easier this way seeing as they will pay for any additional essence collected as well."

"So all I have to do is keep this box on me and it'll keep track of all of the essence that I manage to get?" Fumiko asked as she grabbed the small black box that the receptionist had put on the counter.

"That's right, and the guild will pay you both the additional payment as well as the original quest reward once you return." Jennifer answered. "Though I'll tell you now that it won't be much seeing as a wisp's respawn rate is very slow."

"Respawn?" Fumiko asked curiously as she hadn't heard about respawning in this world before.

"Wisps are a part of a very small group of monsters that can reappear after having been slain." The receptionist explained. "They are concentrations of magic which are formed when magic is released from the ground and gathers in the air, and they will continue to appear again and again until their surroundings are nearly completely drained of power. Though the good thing about them is that they can be defeated with a light strike from any weapon and the powder that they drop is useful for all kinds of potions."

"Oh, I might get some for myself then!" She replied excitedly seeing as, well... Who was she to call herself a witch when she couldn't even brew a few potions?

"Not while you have that box you won't." Jennifer reminded her. "The only place that wisps spawn around here is the graveyard near the eastern gate, so you'll have to go there in order to get it done. Though, you should know that it'll probably take several days."

"Days?" Fumiko asked in shock before shaking her head in order to focus her attention. "Nevermind that, how much do I get for the extra powder that I find?"

"It's going to be a silver coin for every pound that you gather with ten pounds being the required amount to finish the quest." Jennifer answered. "So if you somehow find a surplus of them, this is a good chance to make a lot of money. Not to mention that the base reward for completing the quest is thirty silver by itself, but know that subjugations and monster collection quests like this one are different from the others and you can't accept any other quests until you either complete or give up on the one that you're currently on seeing as people might be desperate for either the monsters to be removed or for the materials and we don't want adventurers getting distracted."

"So this might take days to finish and the base reward is only thirty coins..." Fumiko hummed to herself thoughtfully. "But I have a chance of earning more and this will be my first material collection quest... Well, I've saved enough, so I guess I'll take it!"

"Great, then good luck and watch out for those wisps! Even if they aren't very strong, the small bits of electricity that they can zap you with are painful!" Jennifer warned.

"I'll be careful, thanks!" Fumiko yelled before waving towards the people from the tavern that were wishing her good luck. Though after leaving the building, she took a deep breath of the morning air before narrowing her eyes as she resolved herself to hunt the first monsters which she would purposely kill in her career as an adventurer.

-     -     -     -     -

In a mysterious lone tower just outside of Algus...

"Now! Connect the power grid!" Michael yelled towards his assistant who immediately hefted a large cable over his shoulder before plugging it into the massive machine in the center of the large cylinder-shaped room. And as soon as the cable connected, the glass sphere at the center of the machine sparked with electricity as lightning danced from the glass on the outside to a metal orb that was floating on the inside.

"The magic transfer is remaining stable!" The assistant declared after they both waited for several tense moments.

"Perfect! It's perfect!" Michael yelled before laughing like a mad man. "I've done it! All of those years of doubt and prejudice and I've finally done it!"

"Congratulations, sir." The assistant congratulated him.

"And now, with this, I can take my revenge on all of those who tormented me in the past. And the best part is that they're going to help me with their doom." Michael chuckled evilly to himself while just thinking about how his new achievement would redefine the way that the world viewed magic. And now, all of the scholars that had laughed at him in Citadel and the authorities in Algus who had kicked him out of the city would know true terror as his creation would turn all of those hit by it into undead. Though as a bonus, the wisp powder which was the only thing that he needed now in order to proceed with his plans was going to be delivered to him by the adventurers guild which would also be annihilated! How perfect for his revenge was that?!