Chapter 17: Arashi

"It's a little late in the day, but do what you can, Missy." Fred, the client that Fumiko reported to, said with a smile before pointing towards a nearby well that was beside a large field of what kind of looked like short corn stalks. "There's a pail near the well that you can use."

"That's alright, Mr. Fred. You see, I'm a Master of Magic, and I'd like to use it if that's alright with you." Fumiko asked.

"A Master of Magic, eh?" Fred asked curiously. "I'm not sure what sprinkling a little water with magic will do... What are you planning?"

"I will call upon the powers of the abyss in order to create storm clouds above your farm, and then while using the clouds, I will make it rain enough to give your crops vitality." Fumiko replied while becoming serious.

"Do you really think you can do that?" Fred asked suspiciously.

"But of course." Fumiko replied simply.

"Well, I guess you can try that, but just use the pail if you can't." Fred shrugged as he spoke, apparently thinking that Fumiko was either a little insane or full of herself before the old man turned around and began to head towards the pair of cows he had beside his small house which he'd been feeding until she'd come along. And now that she had permission, she didn't waste any more time as she walked towards the field and suddenly found the flaw in her plan seeing as she couldn't see past the plants so that she could determine just how large the field was and how large she would have to make the clouds. Though seeing as she'd been thinking of doing it anyway, Fumiko decided that it was finally time to act on her most recent vision and make herself something that would be incredibly helpful in the future. Though it was something that she already had and just needed to adjust slightly.

"I'm sooo sorry if this breaks you, Arashi." Fumiko apologized ahead of time before the staff appeared in her hand and she set it on the ground in front of her. And after growing her determination and thinking over the chant that she would use in her mind, she figured that she had better get started seeing as it was already past noon and she needed to do this or she would be outside all night with the watering pail.

"Consume my essence and be reborn. Take flight and guide me through the ethereal veil. Proclaim thyself as my weapon of storm and conform to what my will sees fit!" Fumiko chanted, making sure to keep her eyes open as light-blue vapor waved through the air around her and Arashi shook violently underneath her outstretched hands while storm clouds once again gathered overhead. "Become the tempest that is my thoughts and lay waste to our enemies. Shield me as my friend in our future battles and carry me through distant skies. Enchant!"

Stepping back as Arashi suddenly shot up into the air from in front of her, even Fumiko had to shield her eyes as a large bolt of lightning suddenly struck downwards from the clouds above until it hit Arashi and the staff seemed to act as as a a lightning rod as the bolt persisted on it for over ten seconds. And after it seemed to gather all of the electricity it needed, the lightning eventually stopped and Arashi was left to gently float back to the ground, slowly spinning in the air while electricity surged silently down the shaft. 

Watching and waiting for Arashi to come back down to her level, Fumiko was still slightly concerned with if she'd done the enchantment right seeing as the small orb that had always been sparking slightly in the staff's head was now sparking madly with  electricity that transferred from the orb to the triangular staff head as if the two were a pair of tesla coils. However, there was only one way to be sure if she'd done it correctly or not and Fumiko tested it as she held out her open hand and the staff immediately shot through the air until it landed perfectly in her grip.

Unable to stop herself from smiling or from spinning her staff around just like she'd practiced so many times before when she imagined herself gaining control over a legendary weapon, Fumiko twirled Arashi around her as fast as she could while still keeping control, trying her best not to stop and let out a shout of excitement as electricity surged through the air in her immediate surroundings while creating a light show for anyone watching before she finally finished her small dance in a pose and the electricity that had gathered around her surged a few feet outwards in a wave of blue sparks. However, even if she thought that she looked extremely cool, she unfortunately only had a single witness which was Fred's old farm dog who was looking at her with the same disinterest that he'd had since her arrival. And so, after fighting back the desire to reverse time so that she could gather an audience first, Fumiko reluctantly turned Arashi sideways and let it fall from her hand. However, instead of returning to its bracelet form like it normally did, this time the staff fell until it almost hit the ground before it started hovering while it waited for her.

Taking a step forward before sitting down on Arashi's side, Fumiko was surprised when it felt like she'd sat down in a chair or something similar rather than just the weapon's narrow side. Though she didn't let the surprise show as she willed the weapon to slowly ascend and she gripped the metal so hard that her knuckles turned white when her feet left the ground and she began to float in the air. And while Arashi would be able to fly with her on it now and even if it was able to perfectly stabilize itself so that she would never lose balance, Fumiko still wasn't entirely comfortable with it yet so she only slowly ascended before she was high enough that she could look over Fred's crop field.

Once she was high enough, Fumiko slowly released her hold of the weapon so that she could hold her hands outward and get to work again. And seeing as she already had clouds overhead that were left over from her enchantment, she was hoping that her job was easier now as she focused on the field of crops and how much rain she wanted to pour. However, seeing as she only needed to water it, she decided that only a light sprinkle would work seeing as it was also the safest option for her incase she went overboard again.

"Pour." Fumiko commanded while not using a chant seeing as she didn't want the spell to accidentally flood her client's field. And thankfully it didn't as, while only a few drops landed slowly at first, soon there was a light sprinkle of rain that only covered Fred's field. Though when the smell of the rain and the water hitting the crop's leaves made the most relaxing sound she'd ever heard, she suddenly fell backwards, apparently having used too much magic again even though she'd only enchanted Arashi and changed the weather a bit. However, even though she fell from the staff and was falling towards the ground, she felt something press against her back and slow her decent until she stopped completely while hovering in the air. And while she was tired and finding it difficult to move now, Fumiko smiled as she knew that she'd made the right choice in upgrading Arashi. Because now, even if she wasn't controlling it directly, she knew that her staff would never let her fall.