Rainclouds

Chapter 8

(Don't know why I'm putting a warning cuz I stated triggers would come in the beginning but here's your trigger warning.)

The landline of Sayori's house rang as she rushed to answer it, not having a cell phone of her own.

"Hello?" Sayori asked as she picked it up.

"Hey Sayo, it's Nat." Natsuki said on the other end.

"Hey Nat! What's up?" Sayori asked, leaning against the wall.

"I was wondering if you'd be down for... A girl's night?" Natsuki cringed at the words that came out of her mouth.

"You know it! Come over whenever." Sayori said, fiddling with the cord.

"Okay. Be there in ten. Love ya, bye!" Natsuki said.

"Love you too!" Sayori said before hanging up the phone.

She lay on the couch as she waited, sighing.

"Monika..." Sayori muttered in a hushed tone.

"I want Monika... To like me..." Sayori whispered a bit louder.

"I want to... hold her hand..." Sayori reached an arm up towards the ceiling, staring at her own hand.

She imagined Monika's hand in her own, squeezing it into a fist before resting it over her heart.

"Why do I have to love someone so perfect...?" Sayori said sadly.

Suddenly, all traces of joy disappeared as Sayori felt the presence of her depression barge into her psyche.

No... Not now... Nat's on her way... She'll be here soon...

Sayori began to panic, sitting up as her breathing quickened.

Shit...!

Sayori stood, stumbling up the stairs and locking herself in her room.

She sat against the door, holding her throbbing head in her hands.

Her chest ached, her appendages shaking violently as she fought to keep herself from screaming.

"Go away, rainclouds!" Sayori muttered through grit teeth.

Rainclouds was what Sayori referred to her depression as, since they always seemed to loom over her and really "rain on her parade".

"Go away..!" she said hoarsely, her voice wavering as tears of pain pricked her eyes.

Sayori gasped for air, letting out small grunts and groans as she clutched her sides after doubling over on the floor.

She lie there, panting heavily as she showed no signs of calming down any time soon.

Help... Somebody help me!

Sayori silently cried, still shaking as she curled up as tightly as she could.

"Please... It hurts..." Sayori said between gasps.

The pain in her chest was getting worse by the second, making her head spin as it throbbed relentlessly.

"Help me... Help me, please..." Sayori said.

"Help me!" Sayori screamed as a jolt of pain shot through her entire body.

The doorknob jiggled.

I-Is that Nat?

"Sayori?" Monika's voice sounded through the door.

Sayori tried to keep quiet, though couldn't help the muffled yelp that escaped the back of her throat.

"Sayori, let me in!" Monika grew anxious, pushing the door to no avail.

Sayori rolled over, facing the door as she reached a shaking hand towards the lock.

Monika... Save me...!

Her fingers found it, clicking it unlocked as Monika turned the knob.

Monika threw open the door, hitting Sayori's knees which were blocking her chest.

"Oh my god! Sayori, are you alright?" Monika dropped to the ground.

Sayori weakly reached towards Monika's hand, grabbing it between her own as she dawned a painful smile.

Monika felt sick at the sight.

Sayori, the adorable blue eyed princess she liked, was in a state of complete panic; Her hair and face coated in sweat, her eyes red and bloodshot from crying, and she was shaking from head to toe.

"Sayori, can you hear me?" Monika placed her free hand on Sayori's shoulder, shaking it softly in case she were unconscious.

Sayori offered a weak nod, gripping Monika's hand tighter as she continued to smile at her.

"M-Monik-ka..." Sayori rasped.

Monika withdrew her hand from Sayori's hold, using both arms to lift her upright.

Sayori clutched the front of Monika's shirt to keep balance, still breathing heavily as her chest contorted in pain.

"Sayori, what's wrong?" Monika asked.

"R-Rainc-clou-uds..." Sayori said between gasps.

"What? Sayori, you're not making any sense." Monika said, growing more afraid by Sayori's delusional state.

"Sad... Bad... It hurts... Won't go... away...." Sayori said, swallowing a lump forming in her throat.

She's having a panic attack!

Monika realised what was wrong and took action, picking Sayori up bridal style and moving her to the bed.

She lay Sayori down, willing her arms to stop twitching by holding them down.

"Sayori. Breathe. Deep breaths. Focus on my voice. It's okay." Monika cooed softly.

Sayori tried following the instructions, letting out a whine as she became frustrated.

"Shh, shh. Hey, hey! It's alright. Try again. Big, deep, slow. In and out." Monika said.

She took a deep breath, letting it out slowly to show Sayori what to do.

Sayori copied her actions, gradually bringing her breathing to a steady pace.

Her head no longer throbbed and her chest felt fine once more.

Sayori started crying out of relief.

"H-Hey! Don't cry!" Monika said, running a hand tenderly through Sayori's hair.

Sayori wiped her eyes, blinking her tears away as she gazed up at Monika.

"Thank you." Sayori whispered.

She sat up, wrapping her arms tightly around Monika in a hug.

Monika rubbed her back in circles, rocking her back and forth as Sayori allowed the last few tears to escape.

"You really saved me." Sayori said as she pulled away.

Monika blushed at the statement, her heart fluttering.

"I-It was nothing. What are friends for, right?" Monika chuckled awkwardly.

That's right... We're friends... Nothing more...

"I-I guess you're right." Sayori smiled at her.

"Do you wanna talk about it..?" Monika asked, placing a hand on Sayori's upper arm.

Sayori nodded slowly, interrupted by the sound of the door opening once again.

"Hey!" Natsuki sounded pissed.