Back To The Mainland!

Bonnie's training went very well in Ash's opinion, Clemont had started assisting in teaching the girl about the rules of battling while Ash taught her tactics and Serena taught her about how to take proper care of a pokemon. It had surprised everyone when Ash taught the girl tactics, since it was common knowledge that he tended to rush in without a plan.

"When your in a battle," Ash began, "You have to be ready to think on your feet. A plan can only work if it goes right, but if you can adapt then you can be ready for anything."

"Adapt how?" Bonnie asked him.

"Lemme put it simply," Ash told her as he began to explain, "The last time I was in Sinnoh, I made a new move for my pokemon."

"A new move?!" Serena was astounded to the point where she nearly spilled her cup of hot chocolate.

"Yup." Ash nodded, "We called it Counter Shield. Pikachu, if you would be so kind?"

The electric type leaped out into the air and as soon as he hit the ground, he began to spin; electricity shot off of him and into the air.

"I see..."  Clemont realized what the move did, "That way you can block attacks with it while also attacking the opponent simultaneously."

"Simu-whatously?" Bonnie looked at the boy, brow furrowed.

"It means at the same time." Clemont explained to her, and she nodded.

Ash had shown Bonnie how to come up with moves on the fly, while also teaching her a few of his own moves. After they had finished training for the day, Ash decided to take a walk around the island. Pikachu stayed behind and got cleaned up by Bonnie along with the other pokemon.

"Ash!" Serena called after the boy as he left.

"Huh?" he turned back towards them.

"Can I come with you?" the honey blonde haired girl asked him, "I want to ask you something."

"Sure," Ash grinned at her, "Come on then!"

________________________________________________________________________________

Ash and Serena walked along the island, careful to stay away from any wild pokemon. They stayed silent for a little while before Serena spoke.

"So Ash," she began, "I wanted to ask you about the contests here in Sinnoh, and if you think there's anyway we could make some time for a few?"

"Huh?" he looked at her, "Of course we can, they aren't like performances when it comes to timing. They just kind of pop up here and there. So what else do you want to know about them?"

"From what I read," Serena started, "They're like a showcase with a battle right?"

"Kind of. They have an appeal round which is like the freestyle round of a showcase. Then they have the battle portion after that, each trainer starts at full points and you loose points if your pokemon gets hit or messes up an attack. At least, that's how I remember it."

"Do you think we could practice battling sometime then?" she asked him.

"Sure." he nodded and smiled at the girl, "I can watch your appeal routines too if you want..."

A faint blush came to Serena's face at the offer, "S-sure."

"Awesome!" Ash pumped his fist in excitement, "I know you'll do great!"

ROAR

Ash spun around when he heard the sound, coming from a nearby cave.

"What was that?" Serena asked, but Ash had already shot off towards it, "Wait Ash! You don't have any pokemon with... you..."

Ash burst through the small opening and ended up in a massive cave, he also ended up face to face with a very large Steelix charging a Dragon Breath, but when it noticed Ash it aimed it at him instead of whatever it was about to kill. The attack came close to hitting Ash, who dived away just in time. When the steel and ground type attacked again, it was an Iron Tail that slammed into Ash at last.

"Gah!" Ash was sent flying as he gasped in pain.

Another roar ripped through the cave, and Ash had to cover his ears it was so loud. A moment later, another attack slammed into the raven haired trainer; this time it was a Stone Edge. Ash was sent into the air, his back slammed into the ceiling of the cave before he hit the ground again.

ROAR

A much more familiar sound tore through the air and the wall of the cave burst in, followed by a blur of orange and a torrent of powerful flames.

"Ch-Charizard..." Ash smiled weakly, "Quick, use Seismic Toss."

Ash pushed himself up in time to see Charizard drag Steelix out of the cave and into the air. A crater was formed then as Steelix was hurled back to earth, then another jet of flames hit it again.

"Finish it off with another Flamethrower!" Ash commanded, grinning as Charizard finished the battle.

Steelix quickly fled into the earth, not wanting to take anymore hits from the powerful fire and flying type. Ash limped back into the cave, the distant sound of Serena and Clemonts voices becoming louder as he tried to find whatever Steelix had been after. What he saw was a blue, yellow and black egg, precariously perched on a rock.

________________________________________________________________________________

"So are you gonna hatch it like with Noivern?"

"That's the plan." Ash grinned at his friends, "After all, I looked around for its family but I couldn't find them."

"Big brother, what do you think it is?" Bonnie asked, looking to the scientist as he worked on tweaks to the Aipom Arm.

"I really can't say." Clemont admitted, "But we'll find out when it hatches I suppose."

"Yeah but I wanna know!" Bonnie exclaimed, "I love baby pokemon!"

"Whatcha workin' on Clemont?" Ash asked a little while later, looking over to the blonde boy.

"I'm glad you asked!" Clemont exclaimed, "I'm upgrading the Aipom Arm! This will let it reach farther, lift more weight AND it'll add a pokeball launcher like the one Clembot uses. Except this one will allow me to use it for capturing as well as calling out pokemon."

"That's awesome, " Ash grinned, "Science is so amazing!"

When the time came to leave Iron Island, Ash stood with the others on the sore as they looked out over the water. He placed his hand on top of Bonnie'd head, egg in the other, smiling down at the young child,

"Bonnie, I'm proud of you." the Kantonean trainer spoke, "In the week we've been here you've shown a lot of maturity and growth. And I know that you'll keep that up, right?"

"I'll do my best." Bonnie told him, nodding her head under his hand, "Thank you Ash, for teaching me, and thank you too Serena and big brother..."

"Of course."

"I'm glad I could help Bonnie."

"That's what friends are for."

And with those words said, and with smiles exchanged; the four trainers prepared boarded the ferry that would take them to their next destination. 

"Alright then! Back To The Mainland!"