Parting Ways

Ash and the others continued to train hard, among them however, Ash, Greninja and Fang trained harder than anyone else. It was clear to everyone that Fang wanted to evolve and get stronger and that Ash and Greninja wanted to be ready when the time to battle in the Kalos League came again.

They trained almost all the time, really only taking breaks to eat and sleep and even that was only sometimes. The determination that surrounded them quickly turned into success as they pulled off attacks in unison. They took down opponents twice their sizes and then, it happened;

"Now Fang!" Ash called out, "Force Palm!"

Cross had shown up that day, a smirk on his face as he laughed at Ash training with his pokemon.

Tch "As if!" Cross glared at Fang and Ash, "Lycanroc, use Stone Edge!"

The red and white pokemon slammed its paws into the ground, sending massive spikes at Fang. 

"Dodge them and use a spin kick to make an opening!" Ash glared back at the other trainer, "Then push it into the ground with a Force Palm!"

With quick movements, Fang leaped away from each of the Stone Edge's before pivoting on its foot and slamming the other into Lycanroc's head. Then, it slammed its paw onto the larger pokemons back and it was shot into the dirt.

"Brick Break!" Cross yelled at his pokemon and Ash noticed he was beginning to sweat.

"Quick Attack" Ash called out and Fang slammed its arm into the attack as a gust of wind shot out from the force of the attack.

Then Fang began to glow.

"What the hell?!" Cross went wide eyed as Fang changed shape before everyone's eyes.

Then the light burst and Lucario stood proud in its place.

"Fang!" Ash grinned, "You evolved! Awesome, let's try an Aura Sphere!"

No response.

"Fang!"

Nothing.

"Ha!" Cross. "What a loser! Your pokemon doesn't even listen anymore! Lycanroc, finish it with Stone Edge!"

The pokemon slammed its paws into the earth once more...

"Lucario!" Ash screamed out to his pokemon, eyes glowing blue, "Aura Sphere!"

It worked.

Lucario formed the attack in its paw and slammed it into Lycanroc before being tossed into the air by the pillars of stone.

The last thing Ash heard before the world went dark and silent, was Clemont announcing that both pokemon had fainted.

It was a tie.

________________________________________________________________________________

"Ash." a deep voice called out in the darkness, "Ash Ketchum..."

Ash found himself standing in the darkness. A pink light broke through it for a moment, swirling around him before vanishing into blackness. 

"Ash..." another voice spoke, "Come now, to the place where you helped life thrive. We are waiting for you. Ash."

________________________________________________________________________________

"Ash!"

The raven haired trainer shot up with a gasp, his eyes opening to the warm glow of a fireplace.

"Are you okay?" Serena's concerned voice asked him as her hand came to rest on his arm.

"Y-yeah..." Ash nodded, his eyes searching the room for Lucario as he remembered what happened.

"Fang's fine." Clemont spoke up, "It's resting.

"No." Ash shook his head, "Not Fang. Lucario, that's why it wouldn't listen. I think Fang was like its baby name."

"That actually makes a lot of sense." Clemont replied, "Well then, Lucario's fine."

"But what happened back there?" Bonnie asked Ash.

Then Ash felt Pikachu nuzzle him from the side, "I don't know, I just kinda blacked out and fell; I guess. But I do know that I have to go somewhere soon."

"Go somewhere?"

________________________________________________________________________________

"What?!" a loud screech from Serena told Ash he was in trouble, "We're not going to Hoenn without you!"

"Serena's right Ash." Clemont nodded in agreeance with his friend, "We're not leaving you behind."

"It's not that you're leaving me behind." Ash shook his head, "We just need to split up for a bit. I need to make this trip with just my pokemon but as soon as I'm done I'll start heading back."

"Why can't we go with you?" Bonnie asked, a pout on her face.

"Like I said," Ash sighed, "I have to do this with just my pokemon. There are a lot of reasons why but I promise that I won't be long."

"How long then?" Serena asked him.

"A month at most." the trainer told her, "Probably closer to a couple weeks though."

"Fine."

________________________________________________________________________________

Ash sat beside Serena as the cool evening air filled their lungs, everyone else had long since fallen asleep in the tents. 

"I'm gonna miss you..." the girl whispered as she leaned her head on his shoulder, "It's been so long since we were apart for very long..."

"Yeah," Ash nodded his own head before twisting and wrapping his arms around the honey-blonde haired girl beside him, "I'm gonna miss you too."

Serena hugged him back, squeezing gently as she felt herself drift off into sleep.

Ash smiled down at the girl in his arms, standing up he kept her in his arms as he carried her back to the tent she and Bonnie shared. He laid her down gently on her sleeping bag, zipping it up before he left for his own tent.

'I really am gonna miss her...'

________________________________________________________________________________

"Good luck Ash." Clemont smiled at his friend as they all stood before the airport that would take everyone but Ash to Hoenn.

"Thanks," Ash smiled at him, "you too."

"When we see you again I'm gonna be even stronger!" Bonnie grinned up at him, "I can't wait to battle you and Pikachu!"

"Pi Pika!" Pikachu gave a tiny thumbs up in response.

"Me too Bonnie." the boy smiled back at the girl.

"Be safe..." Serena wrapped her arms around Ash.

"I will."

And much faster than they had planned when they began their journey, the four friends were Parting Ways.