Let's Get A Move On!

Light shot out from the Keystone in Ash's hand, connecting with the beams from the Mega Stone that was strapped to Charizard. As they met in the middle, Charizard began to glow and change. When the light from the large pokemon subsided, a large symbol appeared in front of it; signifying the Mega Evolution.

"Woah..." Bonnie muttered, staring at the pokemon before her.

"Charizard," Ash spoke to his friend, only to receive a glare from the now fire-dragon type.

Charizard opened its jaws and flames shot out of them, tearing across the field before shooting past Ash and the others. Then, within seconds the Flame Pokemon rose into the air; letting out a mighty roar it glared at Ash again.

"Charizard!" Ash yelled to it, "Knock it off!"

Ash couldn't help but be reminded of when Charizard had first evolved, it had become disobedient and violent towards its trainer; but it had mellowed out.

"It's just like when Korrina first Mega Evolved her Lucario," Clemont muttered, rubbing his chin in thought.

Ash reached for a pokeball, "Charizard! You think I'm not good enough, right?!"

Charizard nodded as it roared once more at Ash.

"Well then, let me prove to you!" Ash grinned, "That I'm going to be the greatest trainer in the world!"

By now, a small crowd had gathered around the battlefield. Charizard landed on the side opposite Ash, the flames that came out of its jaws flared in its own way of accepting the challenge.

"Great," Ash grinned, "Gabite, let's go!"

"I hope his plan works..." Bonnie muttered from the side.

Serena nodded, "He can do it. I know he can."

"Gabite! Use Dual Chop!"

Charizard shot out flames at the dragon-ground type, but Gabite was faster; in an instant it was to the side of the Flamethrower. Gabite slammed its claw into Charizard, the changed typing of the Mega Evolution making the attack far more effective as the second strike struck the pokemon in the side.

Charizard grabbed Gabite by the arms, launching into the sky in retaliation to the attack. With a loop as it flew, Charizard hurled Gabite back towards the ground.

"Dual Chop to stop the collision! Then use Dig!"

The dragon type attack slammed into the ground, causing Gabite to stop; the added protection from the attack allowed it to remain unharmed as it dug through the dirt below. Charizard smirked as it continued to fly in an attempt to avoid the Dig attack.

"Nice try Charizard! Use Draco Meteor Gabite!"

The large meteor crashed through the ground and exploded in the sky, raining smaller ones on top of Charizard; forcing it to the ground. Charizard stood back up and its tail began to glow as it slammed a Dragon Tail into Gabite; sending ti flying back towards Ash. The Mega Evolved pokemon was certainly more powerful, but it lacked strategy and was overconfident; it also lacked the speed that Gabite possessed and Ash knew that.

"Quick! Use Dual Chop on Charizards wings!" Ash commanded, "The use Rock Smash!"

Gabite ran at Charizard before slamming its claws into the flyers wings, rendering it unable to fly. Then its right claw glowed as it slammed the fighting type move into the fire-dragon type; forcing it back.

"Now use Draco Meteor again!"

The meteor was shot into the sky, only to be blasted by a Flamethrower. Charizard growled angrily before allowing claws to extend as Gabite got close again for a Dual Chop, the Dragon Claw slammed into the dragon-ground type hard; sending it sailing backwards.

"Gabite!" Ash called out in worry, Gabite nodded at him to say it was fine before shooting off again, "Dig!"

Gabite was underground in an instant, coming up a moment later under Charizard.

"Now use Dual Chop!"

Charizard was hit first in the face and then in the leg, bringing it to its knees.

"Gabite! Finish it with Draco Meteor!" Ash called out and Gabite launched the attack directly into Charizard, a shimmer appeared around the Mega Evolved pokemon as it reverted to its normal form and fainted.

Ash walked towards the pokemon slowly, returning Gabite as he neared the fire-flying type ahead of him.

"Charizard," Ash kneeled beside the pokemon, "Are you alright?"

Charizard nodded a little, just enough to show Ash it was alright. Ash smiled slightly before returning it to the pokeball and walking back into the Pokemon Center, "I'm gonna go heal Charizard real quick."

After handing his pokeball over to Nurse Joy, Ash walked outside and looked to his friends, "Nurse Joy'll make sure Charizard gets healed up so why don't we go find the gym?"

Everyone seemed reluctant at first, Ash was off and they knew it; but in the end they nodded slowly before setting off.

________________________________________________________________________________

"I'm sorry but the Gym Leader is currently unavailable. He hasn't been here for quite some time due to taking vacation time, I'm very sorry about the inconvenience..." 

"It's okay." Bonnie smiled, "Thanks anyway though!"

"Of course."

They all left the gym and started the walk back to the Pokemon Center, "Well, that's disappointing..."

"Yeah, but that just means I can go train and we can head to Johto and start there." Bonnie shrugged, "Besides, it's not like I'm planning on competing in the league here anyway."

"That's true..." Clemont replied as he adjusted his glasses, "Well then Bonnie, why don't we have a few practice battles?"

Bonnie grinned, "Sure!"

Clemont and Bonnie walked to the back of the Pokemon Center to battle while Ash and Serena both walked inside the building.

"Ash..." Serena spoke up as they walked, "Are you alright?"

"Yeah," Ash nodded, "I just hope Charizard didn't take it hard..."

"I'm sure it's fine..." she told him.

"Pi." Pikachu nuzzled against Ash's head in an attempt to console him while Fang reached up and gave his arm a pat.

"Thanks..." Ash smiled at them, "Let's go get Charizard."

A little while later, Ash stood with Charizard outside as the sun set in front of them.

"Charizard," Ash told it, "I know that we didn't get it this time, but I also know that we can get it right eventually."

Charizard gave a soft grumble as it smiled at Ash, claws forming a thumbs up as it nodded.

________________________________________________________________________________

"Alright then..." Ash lifted his bag onto his shoulder as Pikachu hopped onto the other, "I'm ready."

Bonnie gave Dedenne a pat on the head as she nodded, "Me too."

Serena stood beside Ash, Fang between them, "Same here."

"I think I'm ready..." Clemont nodded as well.

"Well then," Ash grinned, "Let's Get A Move On!"