Alright Charizard, Mega Evolve!

"Fen! Use Flamethrower!"

"Fang, dodge it! Great, now get in close and use Force Palm!"

"Fen!"

Ash and Bonnie were having a practice battle to prepare the younger trainer for her battle in Saffron City. Ash knew that the previous Gym Leader, Sabrina, had quit after an incident with Ash and a Haunter. All he had been able to tell her was that the Saffron Gym used psychic types.

"Now Fen! Use Thunder Punch and follow it up with Psybeam!"

"Fang! Stop it with a Low Kick!"

Fang slammed its foot into Fen's arm, knocking away the Thunder Punch before it could hit.

"Now! One more Force Palm!"

Fang's paw touched Fen on the back and shot it into the dirt, causing major damage to the fire type. 

"Use Flamethrower! On the ground!"

Flames shot out in all directions as they hit the floor, Fang had to jump away from Fen to avoid being hit. But the Riolu quickly followed up with a Quick Attack once the flames were gone, fainting Fen.

"Ash!" Serena walked up to the young man, "You've been battling with Fang all day, let it have a break for a while." 

Serena scooped the pokemon up into her arms as it smiled up at her, "Besides, dinners ready."

"Awesome!" Ash grinned as he rubbed his stomach, "I'm starving!"

"Aww," Bonnie groaned as she gave Fen a Max Revive, "I wanna battle more..."

"We'll battle some more tomorrow!" Ash told her, running after Serena and Fang as they walked back to the campsite.

As they ate, Serena suddenly remembered something, "Ash, did you ever open that letter Mr. Blue gave you?"

Ash froze, fork sticking out of his mouth as he look over to the girl. Pulling out his fork he shook his head before standing up, "I'll be right back..."

He walked away from the table that Clemont had set up, he walked out of the clearing and into the woods; even Pikachu had been left behind as he walked away.

"Pourquoi j'ai dit ça..." Serena felt guilt hit her like a bus, it was crushing to say the least; she stood up and ran after him.

________________________________________________________________________________

Ash stood by a small stream that ran through the trees, the sound of Pidgeys in the distance was comforting as he pondered. The letter. He had yet to open it, he'd kept it with him in his pocket but hadn't even started to open it; he was scared of it.

"Ash!" he could hear the soft voice of Serena calling out to him.

Serena finally caught sight of her friend, his back was to her as he looked out at the stream ahead of him; letter in hand.

"Ash," she began, "I'm so sorry I said anything about the letter I-"

"Is it bad that I'm scared to open it?" Ash's voice was quiet, almost to quiet for the Kalosian girl to hear.

"No." she shook her head, despite him not being able to see her, "Not at all. It's been a long time since you saw your dad right?"

"Yeah..." Ash nodded slowly, "I haven't seen him since before I left on my journey in Kanto. It's been over seven years, he's the best trainer in the world and I haven't even won a league after seven years... what if he's not even proud of me?"

"Ash..." Serena moved to sit beside him, placing her hand on his shoulder, "I obviously don't know your dad, but I do know you. You're kind, brave and strong; your dad would be stupid if he wasn't proud of you."