Anything But!

"Wow!" Bonnie was watching Ash and Charizard practice Mega Evolution, "It's so cool!"

"It is quite magnificent." Clemont agreed, "But still..."

Charizard let out a flamethrower at Ash, and the trainer had Greninja let loose a Water Shuriken to help get the fire-dragon type back down to the ground as it rampaged.

"Yeah," Serena nodded, "They're still kinda struggling with it."

"Charizard!" Ash exclaimed as the pokemon hit the ground after an attack from Ash-Greninja, "You alright?"

The now reverted pokemon nodded slowly, still dissapointed at its inability to Mega Evolve properly.

"We'll get there." Ash told it, "Rest up. Fang, why don't we get you practicing?"

"Ri!" Fang nodded, running over to its father-like-trainer, "Rio!"

"Right then!" Ash grinned, "Gabite, since you're similar in size why don't you help practice for a bit?"

"Ga!"

"Great!" Ash then looked to the other pokemon, "Greninja, you and Sceptile battle."

The water-dark type reverted forms and nodded, facing the grass type.

"Pikachu," Ash told his lifelong partner, "Why don't you see if Bonnie wants to battle with you for a bit?"

"Pika!" Pikachu ran over to the girl, who in turn nodded and prepared to battle.

Ash instructed Fang and Gabite on their attacks as they battled, "Fang, you have to-"

"How lame." a new voice spoke, "I saw your little display with that Charizard, clearly it's not strong enough for something like Mega Evolution."

"Hey!" Ash practically growled at the newcomer, "Who're you?!"

Tch, "The name's Cross, loser." the boy responded, his long orange hair spiked in the front; forming a cross.

"Why you-" Ash stepped toward the boy but was cut off by Serena, who slapped Cross.

The orange haired boy gaped at the honey blonde, eyes narrowing; "Bad idea girly."

Cross raised his own hand to hit her, but was stopped by two things; Ash's fist and Fangs Force Palm. Ash's fist met the teenagers jaw in an angry hello while Fangs Force Palm sent him back a few feet.

"Don't touch her..." Ash growled out at Cross, and Serena could've sworn that Ash's eyes glowed blue for a moment; "Why don't we settle this like trainers?"

"Fine then." Cross smirked, standing up as if nothing had hit him, "I'll crush you."

"Go Lycanroc!" Cross called out a pokemon Ash had never seen before, it was like a wolf on two feet; and colored blood red, "What pathetic pokemon are you gonna use?"

Ash reached for Greninja's pokeball, ready to beat Cross into the dirt for trying to hit Serena; but Fang stepped up.

"Fang?" Ash questioned it, "You wanna battle? I don't know-"

"Ri! Riol Ri Ri!" the Riolu wanted to defend its mother, and Ash couldn't say no.

"Right!" the raven haired trainer grew far more serious, "Force Palm then!"

Fang ran at Lycanroc and tapped its palm to the pokemon, but before it could move back it was hit  in return. A swift Brick Break sent Fang back a ways as Lycanroc was sent back as well.

"Now use Brick Break one more time to finish it!" Cross smirked at Ash as he commanded his pokemon.

"Fang! Dodge it with Quick Attack and then use Force Palm from above!" Ash thrust his arm outward as he glared at Cross, a passion that his friends had never seen burning in his eyes.

Lycanroc swung its arm down at Fang with intense speed, but Quick Attack was faster as Fang shot around it as it leaped into the air and tapped the opposing pokemon on the back; sending Lycanroc into the dirt. Then, in a blur of movement the Lycanroc was above Fang with another Brick Break sending the smaller pokemon into the ground.

Dust shot up around them as Fang hit the ground, Ash called out to it desperately as he ran out onto the battlefield. When he found Fang, it was fainted in the dirt with Lycanroc standing over it.

"You're just pathetic you loser." Cross taunted Ash as he returned Lycanroc.

Ash remained silent as he picked up Fang, Cross's words seemed to echo in his mind; they reminded him of Paul. Ash stood up, Fang in his arms as he turned away, "Next time..."

Ash turned and looked at Cross, a look that could kill in his eyes, "We'll kick your ass, jerk."

________________________________________________________________________________

"Ash Ketchum!" Nurse Joy looked out over the counter, "You're pokemon are all healed up!"

Ash looked up from where he sat on the couch across the room, he stood up as he walked over to the counter; Fang hopped into his arms.

"Next time," Ash placed his hand on Fang's head, "We'll win for sure."

"That's the way!" Serena spoke up from the couch, thumbs up as she grinned at Ash.

Clemont nodded from the chair and Bonnie spoke as well, "Yeah! You guys can win no problem next time!"

That day, Ash made a new rival in Cross; a rival he knew he had to beat no matter what. Cross was the kind of person the Paul had been at one point before he shaped up, and Ash was determined to prove that he wasn't pathetic; he'd show he was ANYTHING BUT!

Sorry for the short chapter and the long wait! I've been crazy busy lately, sorry!