16~20 Years

"Hey Der!" 5 year old Stiles spoke picking his head up from his colouring book "Wanna hear a new joke?"

Derek set down his crayon and focused his attention on the boy beside him "Yeah, Okay"

"Knock, knock" Stiles started it with the most typical joke starter.

"Who's there?" Derek said already falling into the joke, as he smiled at the boy.

"Marry" is all Stiles said.

"Marry who?" Derek asked confused.

"Marry me?" Stiles asked more than stated.

"Stiles I can't marry you, you're my best friend" Derek laughed at how Stiles could think that.

"But one day, Derek, one day when we're adults...I'm gonna marry you"

"Deal" Derek said holding out his pinky for Stiles to lock, Stiles wrapped his own pinky finger around Derek's and they shook on it.

20 years later

"20 years ago you made a deal that you would marry me, and I know we were only 5...but this right here proves that promises can be kept" Stiles said as he and Derek had their pinkie fingers interlocked as they stood close at the altar, their entire family watching with smiles on their faces "And I promise to prove that to you for the rest of our lives, I promise to say yes you can do it, to recognise your strength, to see your potential, especially when you can't see it yourself, I promise to encourage, and support and believe in you, to speak to you and about you with kindness and compassion. And I promise to listen to you with an open mind, and an open heart. Because there is no one else on this planet that I'd rather be with than you, I love you and I will keep loving you till the day I die"

"I never thought when we younger that the day we made that deal, it would become a reality, but I am so happy it did, because I love you so much it hurts me. And I promise to choose love above everything, and I promise to make time for you, to be a safe space for all your secrets and vulnerabilities. I promise to honour your dreams and your fears and to understand who you are, right in this moment, for always and forever" Derek shared his vows.

"Now repeat after me" the priest told the men as the ring barer handed over the rings.

Stiles took hold of Derek left hand and whilst slipping the band on his finger he said "With this ring I thee wed"

Derek did the exact same at Stiles, he took his left hand and slid the ring on his finger "With this ring I thee wed"

They had plain silver wedding bands, with a small 'Always and Forever' that was engraved on the inside.

They took hold of one another's hands and repeated after the priest, Stiles was the one to go first "I Mieczysław Stilinski take you Derek Steven Hale as my lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold until death do us part"

"I Derek Steven Hale take you Mieczysław Stilinski to be my lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold until death do us part" both Derek and Stiles had tears in their eyes, and their smiles brighter than ever.

"By the power vested in me, I now pronounce you husband and husband" they didn't waste any longer and closed the gap in between them, kissing one another with such passion and love.

"I love you husband " Derek said with a smile, pulling back and leaned his forehead against Stiles.

"I love you too, husband" Stiles took hold of Derek's hand and they walked back down the aisle, and out the church whilst their family cheered.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Published~October 6, 2019