Chapter 24: Confessions

A/N  I am so so so sorry for the long wait. I had a terrible case of writers block and almost no time to write for a while. I will be updating much more often now and have an amazing chapter for you. Thanks to much for the 9.3K views!!! Enjoy!

Ben's Hospital Room

A Hospital in Downtown London

April 2

1720 hours (5:20 p.m. in the afternoon, in case you don't know)

Erica swept gracefully into the room, kicked the nurse out, looking beautiful, as usual. Unlike me. I was sweaty and dirty, and overall unpresentable from surgery. She had had a shower and new clothes that weren't covered in blood. That just made what I was about to do harder.

I grinned at her, but her face remained stoic. She sat down in a chair and took a deep breath. There was a glint in her eye, and I didn't know where she was going with this.

"Are you ok?" she asked.

I thought of a million answers, but I choose one that was funny.

"What does it look like?" I asked, a goofy smile on my face.

We both laughed, but it still hurt to laugh from the surgery, even with the painkillers. There was a mass of stitches on my chest where the bullet wound was that was not pretty to look at.

That reminded me what I needed to tell Erica. I finally understood her reasons for not wanting a relationship. Even though it would tear me apart, I would heal. I would never be the same, but it was for the best.

"Erica, I understand your reasons for not wanting a relationship." I started my long speech that I had been rolling over and over in my head for at least hour. Ever since I got shot, I understood her decision.

I looked up at Erica, who seemed surprised. I expected relief to be in her eyes, but all I saw was pain.

"I really understand." I continued slowly, "Because of me wanting a relationship, it made us drop our guard, making me get shot. I'm not doing this to protect me, I'm doing this to protect you. What if it had been you in the hospital, and not me? I could never forgive myself."

Erica suddenly got up and started pacing. I though my eyes were playing tricks on her, but her eyes seemed glossy. People's eyes on got glossy if tears were welling up.

I kept on going, wanting to get all of my reasons out there.

"I also have to respect your decision. Being pushy is not what I want to be-"

"Ben-" Erica cut in; her voice tight.

"Erica, let me finish." I said. "I don't want to force you to do ANYTHING you don't want to do, and this mission has also showed how emotions completely ruin missions and-"

Suddenly, Erica was by my side, and I felt a warms sensation on my lips. It took me a second too long to realize she was kissing me. Then, I kissed her back.

It was much longer than the one in Vail, considering that kiss lasted a second at most. She pulled, away, and laughed at my shocked face.

Iwasshocked. This was the complete opposite of what Erica wanted. She had toldme straight up that she didn't like me like that and didn't want a relationship.

"What? Why?" I finally managed to get out.

"Oh Ben." Erica said, her voice delicate. (isn't it isn't it isn't it? Isn't it, delicate?) "You don't know anything about me."