Chapter 17: Exchange

"After that, I had to survive the streets on my own. I had some cash, but because I didn't have my band, I couldn't go to any of the convenience stores. It got to the point that I was nearly dying of thirst when I came across someone trying to mug a girl, and they had a knife.

"I didn't even think before I stepped in to stop him. After that, I was in a clear enough state of mind to know that I messed up using my gift in front of people. Thankfully, though, rather than being scared of me, the woman thanked me by buying me food and water," Jisung informed Minho, continuing his story.

"I became a sort of vigilante soon after, helping wherever I could. Most of the other poor and homeless on the streets were just glad someone was helping them when the rest of the city had forsaken them, so to thank me, they helped me in all the little ways they could. It didn't take long for the IPBA to start putting in a lot of effort and resources to capture me in order to prevent me from 'giving other Gifteds ideas about playing hero', but I was too fast for them. They couldn't ever find where I was hiding because I would run all over the city, creating false trails, before I ever went back to my little temporary home inside an abandoned shop," Jisung paused his story and let out a half laugh.

"That's why I sure as hell was surprised when I returned one day to find Chan just casually sitting in my armchair that was falling apart. Still not quite sure how he managed to find me when an entire agency of people couldn't, but after he saw the IPBA giving me so much attention and he had looked into my story, he really wanted me at the academy. Over the years, I've learned not to question things like this with Chan. He is just a genius, gifts aside. When Chan hyung really wants something, he is a whole other person. He always finds a way."

"I've only known you all two days and I can already tell just how good a leader he is," Minho said, speaking for the first time since his story began now that Jisung had finished.

"Yeah, a great leader and a great friend. He really helped me refocus all my pent up emotions when I came to the academy."

"I still can't entirely believe that a place like the academy exists. Why does JYP care enough about Gifteds to make us a safe haven? Normies doing anything for Gifteds without it being in their own interest just doesn't add up to me."

"You really don't like Normies do you?"

"Do I have to? No Normie ever showed me kindness as I was growing up except two people, but they just turned on me, too, in the end," Minho replied to Jisung's question with a bitterness to his words.

"Well, I think Normies aren't all bad. My parents were Normies, and they loved me regardless. And for JYP, I don't know the full story since only a few at the academy do, but Chan once said something about him falling in love with a Gifted girl. Something happened to her, I'm not sure exactly what, but after that, he swore to himself that he would pave a path to give Gifteds the proper chance to make their lives worth something, in an environment where we were free to use our gifts. Free to be special. Just like my mother had wanted."

As Jisung spoke about his mother's final words again, he seemed to become a bit emotional, so Minho placed a hand over his knee and squeezed it to reassure the younger.

"Isn't JYP like old, though...?" Minho questioned eventually after processing the story. The first Gifteds started being born in 1992 which he was sure was long after JYP had been born.

"Yeah... I choose not to think about that too much," Jisung said in response. They both nervously laughed together for a moment. "So... what about you? What was keeping you up? Tell me your story, Lee Minho."

"There isn't much to tell, to be honest."

"What are you talking about? There is obviously a story behind all of your Normie opinions. You literally just mentioned something about two Normies betraying you. Not to mention what was keeping you up when we first started this conversation. I showed you mine, so you show me yours. Spill the tea," ranted Jisung as he poked Minho's arm whilst the older laughed.