Denials and excuses

As a month has passed by, every boy in their class exchanged worried looks as they walked by, chatting together and holding hands as if they were truly in love with each other. They had been literally going out for as much as they could, sharing an equal ratio of being outside suggested by Mirio, and hanging out inside suggested by (Name). They shone as they laughed together and contact became a natural thing, and Tamaki never failed to see it, especially the small smile (Name) hid away from the blonde after she had been sneakily casting glances at him.

He was so intent on observing them that the interactions that were happening between them as they sat down in the cafeteria greatly scared Tamaki's soul out of his body. He so desperately wanted to do something, but he was dreading the possibility that Taro might find out what he did.

"Maki, you okay?" (Name) asked, flicking at his forehead. "Ow...Yes, I'm alright." he whispered, and picked up his chopsticks to pick at the food served at the table. The usual takoyaki and chicken he needed for sparring and fighting sessions, such as the one they were going to have later that afternoon. "Well, I don't think you are." (Name) mumbled, shoving a spoonful in her mouth. "You're way quieter than usual, and you're trembling like a leaf. What's going on?"

The dark-haired boy shook his head, pursing his lips as if to refrain from exposing the secret while Taro was just at the other table. "He must be nervous about the paired sparring later." Nejire giggled, nudging Tamaki teasingly. "Hey, hey! I saw the list that Kaori sensei made and she paired the four of us together!" 

Mirio broke out into a chuckle that made the girl beside him laugh as well. "Really now? We're fighting against each other? How exciting!" 

'He's so cute...' (Name) thought, propping her chin on her hand.

"I know right?" Nejire grinned as her shoulders reached her ears. "I'm with Tamaki and you're with (Name), Mirio. You truly are meant to be together!"

Tamaki squeaked when he heard that. They momentarily raised their brow at him, then continued with their conversation. (Name) scoffed lightly and leaned into the table, jutting her thumb towards him as she spoke to them. "Me? With this smiley douchebag? No way!"

Mirio gasped dramatically, slapping a hand over his chest as he feigned hurt. "Oh! I am wounded! I can't believe you would say that! My lovely girlfriend doesn't want to be with me anymore, oh the pain!". He leaned onto her, shifting his weight under her as she struggled to push him off. "God dammit, Mirio, you drama queen! I was just kidding! Get off of me!"

The blonde merely fake-cried, (Name) proceeding to laugh at him and managing to push him off and back to his seat. "See, you're both huge dorks, so you're perfect for each other." The bluenette shrugged, smiling widely at them. "Whatever you say, Nejire..." (Name) dropped her gaze and picked up the meat in her meal as she needed the proteins to produce her web silks.

Tamaki had caught sight of the subtle color in her cheeks as she smiled fondly. Was it because of the fun conversation they just had, or was it because of something else? He wasn't sure, but he hoped that it wasn't because of Mirio.

-- Heights Alliance, 3rd year dorms, Lobby --

"Yo, (Name)!" Koun called, lying on the couch as the other guys watched the sports channel. "Make us some snacks, we're starving here!"

"Who the hell do you think I am, your mom?" she shot back, yelling from the kitchen as she slurped the after-battle protein shake she prepared, Mirio snickering beside her. "It's nearly dinner, you'll ruin your appetite, Koun." Haku gently reminded, tapping away at his phone. "Well, why won't (Name) make dinner instead?" Sora nearly screamed when he fell off the couch and hit his head as the girl shot a string of web on his back and pulled harshly.