Chapter 35: Lavender is the Color of New Beginnings

"And then she realized that a fresh start was hers for the taking, that she could be the woman she's always seen on the distant horizon-her future self. One step at a time. Starting today." ~Erica Layne

*Listen to "Blue Ain't Your Color" by Keith Urban*

Two months since I got notice that I may be taken away. Two months back at school, being overloaded by homework and overly analytical gazes.

The boys on the soccer team stick by me, and so do Toby, Theo, Delilah, Nita, and Nelson. I know that I feel safe with them because they have stuck with their decision to help me. After all, they heard and saw what happened.

They know all about me.

For spring break Theo said that he is going to take me somewhere where I won't have to deal with prying eyes and people who don't understand. I won't have to do anything but relax the whole time.

He said that it had something to do with color.

Right now I'm sitting at the lunch table with the boys and they are oddly quiet today, which makes something in my stomach clench. They keep looking around as if there's a threat.

I decide to keep my head down and listen to Delilah, who is ranting about how Nelson hasn't asked her out yet. She may be a big flirt, but he's the only one that has stolen her heart.

She whips her bright ginger head over to me, dark eyes glaring at me.

"What do you think Hazel?" I pin my gaze to her, eyes wide. She wants my opinion on this?

I look over to the table where Nita and Nelson sit with their various art friends, and spot Nelson. His dark hair sticks up all over the place, and his dark eyes survey the lunchroom. He knows that I've caught him staring at Delilah's hair because he turns around, his face flushed.

"I say you ask him. He may think that he isn't good enough for you." She scoffs, rolling her eyes.

"He's pretty hot if you ask me, and he's quiet. I need that in my life." She looks back at him, catching him looking over again. She waves at him, then stands.

I watch as he turns around quickly, nudging his sister. She laughs, then waves at Delilah as she walks over and sits down next to Nelson.

I see her whisper in his ear, then watch him nod. She wraps her arms around him and rests her head against his shoulder. She kisses his cheek, and I watch as he turns tomato red.

I guess it worked.

I turn to Theo, who's staring at me with a smile on his face.

"What?" I mouth, feeling those Carolina eyes all over me. He stays silent, resting his hand on his outstretched palm.

He keeps that gaze on me, taking a bite of his apple. He looks down at the table as he chews, then stands when he needs to get rid of his trash.

This time I'm the one staring.

He sits down next to me, wrapping an arm around me.

"You ready for break?" He whispers in my ear, making me shiver. I nod my head and feel as he squeezes my shoulder.

"Can I come over after school?" I nod again, at a loss for words.

His breath tickles my face as he kisses my cheek, then lets go of me. He talks to me for the rest of lunch, trying to get me to look at him. I feel that if I do I won't be able to look at anything else.

He takes my hand from underneath the table.

"You still want to go, don't you?" I can hear that edge in his voice, that doubt that maybe I don't want anything to do with him. I squash that down, grabbing his hand.