Chapter 37: Bottle Green is the Color of Nathan's Eyes

Just letting you know that after the initial chapters for a Sky Full of Blue are done, I'm going to write two bonus chapters for you guys. Also, when the book is done, I'm going to share my plans for after. Surprise!! 🤗

* Listen to "Like A Rodeo" by Kane Brown and "Barton Hollow" by The Civil Wars*

"I could have fallen in love with her with my eyes closed." ~Atticus

Nathan's POV

I should have never made fun of her eyes, or the way she speaks. Maybe then I would've had a chance with her.

It doesn't matter. Beckett got what he wanted.

I want to show Hazel how wrong she is for dating him, but I can't get her to see past his good side. He's hiding it all from her, and I feel bad because there's nothing that I can do.

Today I am going to pull her to the side and tell her everything about Theo. Maybe then she'll think about what she's doing. I'll stop calling her Two-Face, and I'll stop with all of the jokes, because, in all reality, I really like her.

I wish she could see that I'm really not trying to hurt her. It's just a defense mechanism.

I chew on my bottom lip; this is going to be hard. After I tried to dance with her, kiss her even, at the Homecoming dance, I've been hesitant. Theo punched me and I punched him back.

She just seemed so afraid of me.

I take a deep breath and go into the cafeteria. The throngs of people, and the amount of stares that I get are so abundant, but I don't mind. I'm used to it by now. Theo wasn't always the biggest hotshot when it came to soccer.

I can have any girl that I want; they practically throw themselves at me. It's not that I haven't had the liberty of doing that, there has been more than one occasion that I have used it to the fullest.

I've been trying to stop all of that since I saw Hazel.

I sit down at the table, watching all of the soccer players with their usual banter. I watch Theo, Toby, and Hazel the closest, waiting for any opportunity to talk to her.

The fiery one, Delilah, sits by her new boyfriend Nelson at the table with all of the art nerds. She twirls her red hair on one finger and has her head leaned against Nelson's shoulder. Personally, I don't see the big deal with him.

What does he have to offer to someone as smoking as Delilah?

I get my chance when Theo gets up and goes to the bathroom and Toby throws away the trash. It's almost taken away from me when Hazel gets up to throw away her things, but Toby waves her off and takes her stuff.

She sticks her tongue out at him behind her back and that makes me laugh because even though Toby can't see her, he still flips her the bird over his shoulder. Her laugh has always amazed me, and I can't get enough of it.

I stand and go over to her, sucking on my cheek. I splay my fingers on the table and lean over so that the shadow of my body overtakes her face. She looks up and scrunches her eyebrows. Her mouth is pursed into a small frown, and she doesn't really look like she wants to see me, but she doesn't tell me to leave.

I take that as a sign and start to talk. Here goes nothing.

***

Hazel's POV

I don't like the idea of Nathan being here, especially because Theo is just around the corner, but there's something in his eyes that makes me not say anything. I sit there and frown, wondering what he wants with me.