Chapter 33: Butterscotch is the Color of the Party

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance." ~Unknown

So, I entered A Sky Full of Blue in the Wattys. I'm really nervous and excited about it, and all of your support throughout this story has been amazing. Thank you to everyone that has stuck with me while I write this. Wish me luck!! 😊

*Listen to "Senorita" by Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello*

Theo sits by my side, twirling my hair. He plants a kiss on my cheek and I try to move closer, feeling his body heat through his shirt.

I have told him sorry over the past few days so many times, and yet, all Theo says is that it's all right. I don't understand. I pushed him to drink again because of it, and somehow it's all fine?

I'm too confused and it's like there's a lead weight in the pit of my stomach every time I want to try to understand.

I think he's satisfied that he heard me say "I love you". I couldn't believe it when I said the words, but I realize now that I know why I said them.

I love the way Theo smiles, how his dimples poke through his cheeks. I love how passionate he is about the things he cares about. He is so courteous to the people around him-except for my brother-and is so kind. He is learning from his past and doing things that benefit him.

He may be going to college soon, but he has turned his life around in so many ways.

I can hear Theo humming to himself, and his curls brush against my ear. He wraps his arms around me, forgetting about my hair for the moment.

"You're so little." I feel his chuckle, and I turn to see those Carolina eyes crinkled. He's got his tongue between his teeth and he's smiling down at me.

"What?" I will not deny that I am little, but I still cannot hide the tone in my voice.

He hugs me to him, closing the distance. I can feel his fast-beating heart as I lay my head against his chest.

"I love that you're little. It means that I can do things like this." I'm about to ask him what, but he bends down and kisses me lightly on the lips. I smile against him.

"Is that all?" My voice comes out as nothing more than a breathless whisper. I cannot fathom how nervous he makes me, if that's the correct word for it. Why did I ever think that he wanted nothing to do with me?

His laugh is low and deep, and that's all I hear before he hoists me over his shoulder. I can only see his legs and the flooring, and I laugh.

"Put me down!" His laugh shakes his whole body.

"Or what, Hazel?" I lift myself to see a dare in those eyes, those beautiful, squinted eyes.

"No midnight kiss." I shriek when he sets me down, pecking my lips. He runs off like a small child, laughing.

"We'll see about that," he says, dashing to the kitchen.

He stands at the island, arms crossed. Toby stands, mixing something in a bowl. He's scowling at Theo, lips pressed into a thin line.

"You act like you're seven," he says, turning his back to Theo. I try not to insert myself in situations like this, but I can't help it. The two people that I love aren't getting along.

"You both do," I say, and they turn to me. They've both got their arms crossed, and both have frowns on their faces.

"Get along for once. Being nice looks good on you two." I turn to the fridge, looking for something to eat, when someone grabs me. My whole world is turned upside down when I see a pair of Carolina eyes shining at me. Theo sits on the floor, and Toby has a strong hold on my legs.