Chapter 5

Chapter 5

The snow began just after sunset.

Those who were still up in the small desert village peered out their windows in awe, which quickly turned to realization and horror at who was walking toward them in the distance as she brought the shadows with her. Even though it had only been a few days since news had reached them about the slaughter in the other nearby village, they prepared, posting ordinary citizens as guardsmen since that was all they had. They were no match for her, though, and the dark magic she wielded.

The white lace dress was like a beacon in the darkness, her burgundy and silver-streaked hair glowing and in loose curls down her back.

She did something worse to that village than she did the one south of Filwey. At least, they were able to rest in the land of light and shadows, though.

They knew what happened in Palrion when the Arcane Blood Plague swept through Palrion over a century before. But with that history buried so deep, they didn't know it was a person who caused it, claiming the lives of a third of the population, draining every bit of magic from their blood. It had taken her a few months, starting out slow since she was still getting used to her new powers.

This female, though...she was much more powerful, even though she had not fully taken on the darkness yet. That dark magic inside her was feeding off the tatters of her own, though, which it had locked in chains inside her.

And that female's consciousness...she was raging inside, screaming and trying to regain control of herself. It was no use, though, as she was then smothered and pulled down into oblivion.

The darkness had taken over, her mind shifted, and she smiled and began to hum the same song she had just days before as she took the life of the first two guardsmen at their post.

Her mistress had told her what to do, but she was keeping an eye on her from a distance to see how she did on her own.

Perfect. She was doing perfect, just as always.

She would never forget how it felt to snap their necks with just a wave of her hand. They were still alive as they lay motionless in the snow-covered sand just before the road began, their chests heaving with the breaths that would stop in just a few moments. Their dark brown eyes were wide and shining with tears as she slowly walked up to kneel between them.

And drew one finger along both of their throats.

Dark skin turning ashen, their chests stopped moving as her hands clutched where the blood gushed, washing over her skin as she smiled.

That darkness was ecstatic, humming inside her as it greedily ripped the guardsmen's magic from their blood, feeding off it and growing ever so slightly. She rode the high that rushed through every part of her, closing her eyes as her smile grew. She continued to drain it until they were nothing but shells of who they once were, their now magicless blood pooling beneath their cold bodies.

More. Now, she wanted more.

She had a whole village to satisfy her and that darkness inside her.

Her mistress smiled from where she watched.

And quickly realized just how powerful her protégée would become.   

***I kind of love these Dark Lyv chapters since they're so different from the others.  I think the shortness of them packs a punch, too!  And now you know real Lyv's trying to fight it even when it takes over.  

Let me know your thoughts!  Comment and Vote!

Happy reading!

- Ansley***