Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Lyv tried to tell herself this wasn't just a dream, wasn't just the dark magic playing tricks on her. She was really holding onto Jai in the waters of the Whelm, which was now calm even as the fog continued to shift, looking up at the Blackloch ships that were surrounding them before they dropped a thick knotted rope to pull them aboard.

Jai kept an arm securely around her as he held onto with other to the rope that was dropped from Kalla's ship. Immediately, Lyv was shivering violently when they were lifted from the water, her thin dress soaked through. But Jai held her steady and close, his warmth spreading through her.

The Pirate Queen was still grinning, though she was yelling orders at her people who were hoisting them up and helping them over the railing.

And looking up at Jai's face...she still had trouble believing this was all real.

As soon as her bare feet touched the deck, Lyv all but collapsed against Jai. Her strength zapped out of her as her rush of adrenaline ceased.

"I've got you, princess," Jai told her, holding her tight against him. "You're all right. I've got you." He looked up at everyone around. "Someone get me a blanket, anything!"

"You heard the crown prince! Now!" Kalla shouted, pushing through the little crowd around them. She was smiling still, but her gaze held relief in it. "Well, hey there, Lyv. You just had to go saving yourself when you had all of us coming for you, didn't you?"

Lyv couldn't help but laugh through her tears, her hands tightening on Jai.

Blankets was produced almost immediately, being handed to the both of them. But Jai refused his as he wrapped both around Lyv. His eyes were sweeping over her, looking for anything wrong. But nothing was wrong, not anymore. She was out of Corliss's control and back with those she loved most.

"Tell me what you need," Jai begged, his voice sounding choked with desperation. "Anything? What the hell am I asking that for? I just...you..."

"Jai," she whispered, reaching forward to put her hand on his face. "I'm all right."

"No, you're..." He sucked in a breath through his nose, shaking his head as he closed his eyes. "I should have been able to get to you sooner. I should have..."

"Stop. Please."

"No, because I..."

Lyv leaned forward, immediately pressing a kiss to his lips to shut him up. He clung to her, both of them needing each other more than ever in that moment.

And their mating bond...it hummed brightly and settled back into place between them. The feeling of it bringing them closer had tears welling up in Lyv's eyes once more.

"I missed you," she whispered against his lips. "I missed you so much. And I love you."

Jai tightened his arms around her, his forehead against her before he he brushed gentle kisses against her cheek, trailing to her ear. "I love you. So, so much. But still, I should have gotten to you sooner. Everything you've been through..."

"I'm all right," Lyv promised. "But...but please tell me everyone else is, too."

She didn't even have to ask.

Shadows passed overhead before those around them started yelling at each other to move. Lyv and Jai broke apart at the commotion, only to find themselves not under attack. Those dark shadows were dragons.

The first hovered just above the deck for a few moments so her riders could jump off before heading for another ship to land on it, making all those aboard yell as it lurched under her weight. She looked on longingly, but knew the second dragon was the one who needed to attack Lyv with cuddles first. And that second dragon...well, he wasn't going to wait any longer. Even Jai had to pull Lyv out of the way as the giant black and red beast landed on the deck, making the ship rock back and forth violently. The roar he emitted then was deeper than Lyv remembered, but the hum that reverberated around them...it was still the same.