Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Thia and Allel both tried to get Jai to leave immediately and get more rest, but Gideon was on his side in wanting to leave as soon as possible.

"If you'd wait a little while, we can all go," Thia tried to tell him as he headed for the door and the three of them turned to watch him.

Jai just shook his head. "I can't wait that long. Who knows what will happen in the hours it's going to take me to get there, even with Roshan flying as fast as he can? It's time I'm not willing to waste."

"You haven't slept much over these last few weeks, though," Allel went on. Worry lines were etched into her face, eyebrows pulled together. "Your dead on your feet right now, Jai."

"I have to agree with her," Thia nodded, though she didn't seem like she wanted to. "Jai, listen to yourself. Lyv wouldn't want you going off when you've barely had an hour or two of sleep. Bridget might even make you get more when she sees how tired you are."

Jai only shrugged. "Isn't that what I have to do to see Lyv again anyway? I'll just do it then."

"You have no idea just how wrong you are. But that takes more out of you than you know, especially if she's going to be working a spell over you," Thia contradicted. "I might be half-sorceress, but I don't have that kind of magic. I do have the magic to knock you out for a few hours, though. Want me to use it or just knock you out the more violent way?"

"Don't care."

"You should."

Jai turned his attention to Gideon, who had stayed silent. "You want to help me out here? Your mate's threatening me."

But Gideon just held up his hands in surrender. "She's been turning her threats on you more than me lately...and I'm kind of missing it. But I already know I'm going to get smacked for agreeing with you in leaving right now instead of at first light. Why should I add more injury?"

Thia crossed her arms over her chest and narrowed her eyes at him. "You bet your ass you're going to get smacked. Oath-sworn to Lyv and Jai's best friend or not, you should be thinking about what would happen if he passed out from exhaustion thousands of feet in the air and ends up falling."

"Roshan would catch him before he splattered on the ground. He loves him too much to get him killed. You know, mate of his bloodrite bond and all."

"You think Erly will save you, too, before I kill you myself?"

"I think you'd miss me and my charm too much, but I like to think she would since, you know, she loves me more than you. Pretty sure she wouldn't like to see me go splat."

This time, both females gave him a look.

Before Thia reached up and smacked the back of his head.

Stubborn as he was, Jai still didn't listen to Thia or Allel, even though he appreciated their concern. "Listen, I know you're worried, but I'm fine. After what I saw, I'm pretty much wide awake, so please don't try to stop me. Come if you must, but just know that I'm leaving as soon as I change and get my things."

The three of them watched as he finally left, closing the door behind him.

He immediately went up to his rooms to change clothes and secure a fur-lined cloak around him. Elys was still sound asleep with Posy curled up in the crook of his neck, so Jai leaned down to brush his hair back and kiss his forehead, leaving a note for him explaining where he'd be and how he wouldn't be gone too long.