Chapter 28

Chapter 28

After being apart for so long, Jai couldn't fathom the emotions that rushed through him as he watched Lyv be reunited with everyone. They were coming from both himself and her, but mostly him. He had to keep it together, though, had to be strong for her.

Especially when she started retreating into herself, being caught up in the thoughts that overwhelmed her.

He could barely get anything out of it, just flashes of what happened over the last few hours for her and the panic that swelled before overflowing within her. What he could sense, though, was her magic trying to soothe her.

Both light and dark magic...something he wasn't prepared for.

Jai swallowed hard as Lyv clung to him, looking up at Gideon.

"Go," Gideon told him in a rush. "This has to be overwhelming, so go. Take her somewhere quiet. Make sure she's all right."

Kalla stepped up, her eyes wide as she stared at Lyv. "The cabin to the left of my quarters...take that one. It's quieter there than anywhere else and has everything you need. But let me know if you need anything else."

Jai nodded, scooping Lyv up in his arms and started for the door that would lead him down below deck. With every step down the narrow corridor, Lyv's breathing and heart rate got faster and faster.

"It's all right, Lyv," Jai told her, watching his every step toward the captain's quarters before seeing the closed door to the left. It didn't take much thought to open it with magic even though he was still several paces away. "Give me just a moment and I'll get you to somewhere quiet. It's all right. Everything's going to be all right..."

His words caught in his throat as soon as he stepped into the cabin. There wasn't much, just a bed, wardrobe, and bathing area with a copper tub, all of which were bolted to the floor to keep from moving as the ship swayed gently back and forth.

It was the bed Jai was headed to, setting Lyv down on the end as he got down on his knees in front of her. Immediately, he wrapped her in his arms once more, burying his face in her neck as she clung to him, her arms around his shoulders and legs on either side of him. She was trying to concentrate on him, but something else was pulling her attention away.

And that was when he felt it.

Her magic, both light and dark, was fighting to keep something else, something much more sinister under control. Something that had come loose from the chains that held it back, raging inside her. It was a darkness Jai had never felt before, never wanted his strong, beautiful mate to have to endure. He would have gladly taken it on himself so she wouldn't have to.

And that's when he noticed the slight glow of the obsidian stone still beneath the skin of her forearm.

Mother and gods above.

Even though it was glowing, when Lyv met his eyes, all he was met with was emerald, not onyx. She still struggled to tighten the chains she had surrounded that darkness with. He'd never felt anything like it before except for a handful of times.

And that was whenever they were dealing with Corliss.

Lyv closed her eyes again as she leaned her forehead against his, trying to steady her breathing. Jai lifted his hands to cradle her face, still staring at her, still having the hardest time believing she was really and truly there.

But he had to be strong, couldn't break down like he was so close to doing. Unlike the last panic attack he helped her through, he couldn't say a word. That wasn't what she needed. Lyv needed him more than ever right now, just him being there, and he was going to do anything and everything he could. He couldn't take on that darkness, but he could at least help her get a proper hold on it.