Chapter 55

Chapter 55

After spending a little more time to themselves, Jai and Lyv headed back out into the camp to help where they could. Still, Jai tried to not notice the looks of awe from the Escarrali citizens and even some from Dalcaine who had never seen them together before. Maybe he needed to see the two of them from another's prospective. Because to him, they were just Jai and Lyv, a mated pair who had been through hell and back several times over and managed to make it through. He knew they still had more to come before they were finally able to settle down though.

By the time night was beginning to fall, everyone in the camp started to settle down. They were invited to eat several times around campfires but declined, knowing they were expected back at the palace.

There was no way they would be missing dinner with all of their family, especially the rambunctious children, the ones who kept calling him Uncle Jai. Just the sound of it made a smile curl up the corners of his mouth, especially when Lyv complained that they were starting to love him more than her.

"Why?" she half-heartedly begged her sisters as they all sat around the dining table. "Why did you all have to start calling him that?"

"Uh, because you two are mated and practically married already? I thought we went over this?" Rhea grinned.

"But...they're starting to love him more than me!" she complained.

Jai couldn't help but snort out a laugh. "Oh, I highly doubt that, princess."

"Everyone knows you're their favorite," Bence nodded. "Out of all of us, really."

"That's true, Auntie Lyv!" Avice grinned from the kids' end of the table. All of her nieces and nephews bobbed their heads in agreement with the eldest of the cousins.

Camilla and Soren, who had joined them for dinner when they were able to get away from evacuation planning, were sitting across from Jai and Lyv. Even Merek, Evelien, Balian, and baby Imrie were there. Of course, Lyv had taken the baby from Evelien for while before she started getting fussy and wanting to eat. Evelien had dismissed herself for a little while to do so, but Lyv just pulled Balian in her lap right after.

Camilla leaned over Soren then to look at Rhea and Ada. "Have you told them yet?"

Lyv stiffened at his side, her forkful of food halfway to her mouth. "Told us what?"

Her sisters looked between each other and their husbands before looking to Bence.

Her father was the one to answer. "They're all leaving with the first group in the morning, along with Evelien, Balian, and Imrie. Merek will be leading the first group with a good majority of the guardsmen since there will be more people to protect, just as you all discussed when you came back earlier. Camilla and Soren will go with us with the second in two days."

Jai had a feeling that was what they were planning on doing, what he was hoping they would be. If all went to hell in the next few days, he at least wanted the majority of their family safely to the west and already on ships ready for the journey to Dalcaine.

"I just..." Lyv started, glancing over at Jai just as he reached over to take her hand. "Good. I'd rather you all be in the first group. But I...I won't like saying goodbye, even if it's just for a short while."

"Momma and Daddy said we get to go on a ship to where you live now!" Penny boasted excitedly. "None of us have been on a ship before!"

Jai, wanting to bring a little more laughter back to the table, winked over at the little girl. "You'll have to get used to it, especially being on it for a few days like we're going to be. Don't be like Gideon when he was a few centuries younger and get seasick. That's the worst."