C H A P T E R •9•

I finish making dinner just as the front door opens. Footsteps sound from the hallway, making their way to the kitchen. Mom enters through the door and leans on the counter.

"How was your day mom?"

She sighs and explains how it was very busy today, and that there were so many guests complaining in hopes to get something for free. She also said how most of the people she had dealt with today were just plain rude.

"At least you're home now eh mom? I put portions of the food on plates as she chuckles.

"Yeah you're right Zuku. Where is your friend?"

"He's sleeping, he got attacked by kittens wanting him to pet them." She smiled widely, with a hint of a chuckle. (Does that make sense? It's like when you smile like you're laughing but you just exhale like you're laughing) "He's cute, I think you boys are cute together."

"Mom! I-it's not like that... besides so what if I did? It's not like he would feel the same way. He's probably just being nice because we're doing a project together and that he's being allowed to stay here." She laughs, not in a condescending way, but more of in a motherly way.

"Izu, anyone could see he likes you, whether it be friendly or not, I have no idea, but he really does enjoy your company. Now go wake him up, I'll finish setting the table." I nod in compliance and go into my room to wake the heterochromatic boy sleeping in my bed.

"Shoto? Wake up, dinner is ready." I nudge him, shaking his sleeping form awake. His eyes open halfway, still half asleep as I repeat that it's time for him to wake up and that food is ready. He just lays there for a moment, somehow making his bed head look very attractive. I sneak a picture of him as he tries not to fall back asleep.

 Credit to original artist

He sits up and we walk back to the kitchen to eat. We both sit down at the dining table where mom was waiting for us. She tells us about her day at work, going off topic often. I tell her about going to the old cafe that her and I used to go to and then to the pet store where Shoto was engulfed by tiny balls of fur demanding attention.

She laughs and I smile, knowing that she doesn't have this good of a time that often. Seeing her happy always makes me in a much better mood, she deserves it after all.

After we eat and wash dishes she sends us both to my room insisting that we rest after our long day and states that she is going to do the same. I kiss her cheek goodnight and she enters her room closing the door behind her.  I follow Todoroki into my room and gently shut the door behind us.

     I sit on my desk chair and Shoto flops down onto my bed, face buried in my sheets. I shake my head in amusement when I hear him say something that was muffled to the point where it sounded like low grumbling. 

     "What?"

     "I said I was bored," his face lifts up enough to where I can understand what he was saying. I make an "oh" shape with my mouth.

     I pull up my computer and go to my music, pulling up some random lofi playlist and turn the volume up to where you can hear it, but it's not overpowering everything else.

"I hope you don't mind, it always helps me when I'm bored so maybe it would do the same for you." I mumble. He nods his head in understanding.

     "It's nice, kinda soothing if I'm being honest."

     Several moments pass of us just listening to the music, no talking, no moving, nothing. Just relaxing and enjoying being by one another's side. I sit up from my relaxed position in my chair and pull a hair clip out of my drawer and clip my hair out of my eyes, something I usually do to keep me from getting distracted when I study.

     "Hey Shoto? Do you want to see some of the pictures I've taken?" He nods, walking over to my computer. We spend hours looking at all the pictures I had ever taken and saved, laughing at the funny ones and admiring the beauty of some of these images.

     We scroll through the pictures until we come across one of me as a little kid in a onesie from my favorite comic book.

Credit to the Animators of Boku No Hero Academia / My Hero Academia

     "I'd say I was about three in this photo. I loved pretending to be a hero, just like the ones in comic books." I smiled at the memories of when mom and I would play heroes together.

     "That's a really cute picture Izuku," he says, a soft smile crosses his face. My cheeks dust pink, and I turn my head slightly away from him.

      "I uhh... thanks..."  I awkwardly trail off. "Hey um I'm kinda tired, so I'm gonna go to sleep. Feel free to join me whenever." I lay down next to his sitting form and daze off. Right before I fall completely asleep I feel Shoto's arms wrap around me, pulling me closer to him.  He kisses my forehead softly and snuggles his face into my hair.

     "Goodnight Izu."

     "Goodnight Sho."