Chapter 3: Black Cat and Blackjack

Your P.O.V.
It was dreary again this morning. The rain was crashing down hard, hard enough that it gave you a day off. You had some spare cash and you never cared for harsh weather ruining your day. Your apartment needed cleaning as well and you needed to update your plan if you were to catch Selina if she intended to steal the money. Then again, she is a thief, and a damn good one, meaning there couldn't be a single mistake. Most important priority, cleaning your apartment. You got out of bed with a pain in your shoulder. As you got up you exclaimed "Damn pains." and cracked your shoulder, relieving some pain. You looked at your clock, the time read 8:27. You could tell it was going to be a long day. You quickly grabbed some clothes and took a shower. The hot water trailing down your back and in your face woke you up enough to actually think clearly. You exited and put on some proper clothes, you then went into the kitchen and got something quick to eat. You walked over to the radio when you finished eating to put in some music, more specifically a Nox Arcana CD. The gothic music was quiet and tranquil, perfect for relaxation. You managed to clean your entire apartment, from the kitchen to the bathroom to your room, it wasn't spotless but it was today at least.

After you cleaned up everything you decided to take another look at the plans. The song still played as you thread every possibility of Selina entering and exiting the building. Taking the money, real or fake. Whether she would have inside help or not. To construct the plan is as difficult as weaving tales for books. Every possibility had to be thought up. It was almost noon when you thought up of all the possible possibilities. Honestly, there were a lot to cover with Jeremiah. But that was for tomorrow, and today brings gifts, hence the term present. Tomorrow holds the unknown, yesterday holds the regret, today holds the actions to take. So you took action. You grabbed your wallet and headed out the door. The stairs creaked under the weight of your feet as you rushed out into the rain. The CD ended an hour ago so it wouldn't annoy anyone. The rain spat down lightly as you traversed the streets, every step you took there was a splash from the rainwater against the pavement. The casino was no use, everyone cheated. The real place to go was The Canary Inventory, real people, no crooks, and it specializes in Blackjack and Texas Hold 'Em. You only wanted to play Blackjack tonight, as to test your luck.

You arrived in front of The Canary Inventory. It was a small, run down building that almost rotted on the outside. It was a guise for what lied inside. You entered and it was the usual: red walls lined with white canaries, red floors, and three tables in the room. There only ever 15 people at The Canary Inventory, plus 4 people. Three were dealers and one supplied the food and drinks. You sat at one of the blackjack tables, there were three others there. You never asked their names because it was one of the rules. The rules were simple: don't ask anyone who anyone is, don't start any fights, play by the proper rules, and never tell anyone about the Inventory. Simple. You sat at the table and put your pay on the table, 5,000 dollars. The others put their pay, 7,000 dollars, 6,500 dollars, and a whopping 10,000 dollars. 28,500 dollars in total. You didn't care about getting it all, you only cared about getting at least  8,000 dollars, maybe 9,000. It was going to be sucker bait for Selina.

The game started and you put down a small portion of 1,000 dollars, someone else put down 2,500, one put down his 5,000 and the last one didn't go yet. You were lucky, you had a 10 and a king. The guy next to you was luckier, he had a king and a fucking ace, the other guy didn't even break double digits. You didn't say anything and the guy next to you took the whole 8,500. The next round began and you, again, put down 1,000 dollars. One put down 5,000, one put down 4,000 and the guy who didn't go put down 8,000. You got a 6 and an 8. The guy next to you had a 2 and an ace, the guy in front of you had a 1 and a 9, and the guy to his left had an 8 and a king. The guy in front went first and said "Hit me." and got a 9, meaning he had 19. The guy to his left went next and he said "Hit me." in a worried tone. He was right to be worried, he got a 5, meaning he had 23. He was out and the guy next to you said "Hit me." and got an 8. Making him have 20. You were next and said "Hit me." You had the small chance of going above 21, but instead you were dot on, a 7 landed in front of you. You had the sucker bait, 10,000 more than the sucker bait. So you decided to stay for one more round, but this time you didn't care wether you won or not.

You put down 7,000 dollars, leaving you with 11,000. Two put down 2,000 dollars and one put down 3,000 dollars, the cards were drawn. You got a king and a ten, the guy next to you had a 6 and a 2, the guy in front had a 9 and a 3, and the guy to his left had a two 6's. The guy in front went first and said "Hit me." and received an 8. The guy to his left was next and said "Hit me." and got a 7. The guy next to you said "Hit me." and got an ace. Three people had twenty. You stayed and the guy in front was out. The money was split evenly between the three of you. Meaning the three of you got 4,666.67 dollars. You now had 15,666.67 dollars. You got up and said "It was a pleasure playing with you gentlemen." and left. You went outside and had the suspicion that someone was watching you, but all you saw were passerbys. So you shrugged it off and headed home.

The rain had surprisingly died down and you saw the sky, filled with stars and the moon shimmering with essence. You walked by an alleyway and heard a cry. It wasn't a humans cry, it was a cat's cry. You walked in the alley and saw a black cat with only one eye. It didn't have rabies and it didn't look sick so you knelt down and tried to gain it's trust. It was uneasy coming towards you at first but then knew that you didn't want to harm it. You couldn't tell if the cat was a boy or a girl, it came up to you and curled up close to you. It seemed cold, you checked to see if it had a collar, nothing. You said "You seem cold little one, do you want some food and a place to stay?" You knew it wasn't a human but animals had souls and should be treated equally. The cat then licked you, it trusted you that quickly? You said "Okay little one, lemme get you some place warm and dry." as you picked up the cat. It wasn't big bit it wasn't small either. It was a medium size and rested snug in your arms. You knew you had tuna saved for a snack later for tomorrow but you knew the cat needed it more. Thankfully the apartment also allowed cats thanks to someone on the second floor who was very fond of them.

You entered your apartment and you knelt down and let the cat down. You turned on a light to let it explore as you got the tuna from the fridge and a small plate. You put the tuna on the plate and put it on the floor for the cat to have. It went straight for it. It enjoyed the meal and almost gobbled it up entirely. You checked to see if the cat was male or female, turns out the cat is a he. You didn't know what you'd call him but you did know you'd keep him as the kennel was no place for him. You looked at the time and saw it was 10:40. Meaning that you had to sleep very soon if you were to get up for work on time. You kept the light on in the kitchen and headed into your room. The cat followed you, almost as if you were his lifeline. You let him follow as you went straight to bed. He jumped up on the bed and curled up on your lap as you slept. It was nice having helped the little guy. You drifted off to sleep hoping that tomorrow would also be like today, a gift.

Selina's P.O.V.
I kept an eye on (F/N) all day. (He/She) had plans to stop me, but (he/she) wouldn't get far. (He/She) also brought back a lot of money from The Canary Inventory, but I'll let (him/her) keep it. I was going to steal it, but then (he/she) helped the cat. (He/She) did have a good heart, but I need that money from the bar. If (he's/she's) going to stand in my way so be it, but I won't hurt (him/her) too much. After all, (he's/she's) starting to grow on me.

A/N: And there you have it, chapter 3. This is dedicated to bucks2020 because it's his birthday today. So I hope you enjoyed the chapter, remember to vote for the next books in my conversations, and have a great day/night. :)