Chapter 18: Fearful Leaf

Scarecrow's P.O.V.
It was damp, cold, and dark. I could barely see anything, and the rags barely helped. I had been walking for for hours now, staying in alleyways and away from prying eyes to keep a low profile. I remembered what Harley did to me, bound me and forced me to talk with the fear that reigned in my mind: The Batman. I told her everything and she pulled my strings, I escaped before she had a second thought of keeping me around. When she came to me I was in a white padded room with a straightjacket on, going mad with the images of Him. But now I look in front of me and I see a (man/woman), and I was horrified. (He/She) was a reflection of Him.

I stumbled to the ground backing away as fast as I could. (He/She) walked closer and closer, (he/she) was nothing but a terrifying shadow of the Bat. Red eyes fuming with fire, wings spread out dimming what little light I could see, and black ink seeping from the mouth spewing words I couldn't understand. I kept backing away, inching away until I backed myself against a wall. (He/She) grabbed my collar and said more words in couldn't comprehend. I started to hyperventilate and then...........nothing. Just darkness.

I awoke to drops of water on my face, I opened my eyes and I realized I was in a strange and dark room. No, not a room, a cave. I looked around to see technology beyond anything I've ever seen, from computers to cars to gadgets. I turned my head to see a Batman suit. I yelped and rolled off the surgical bed I was laying on. Everything looked clear, I peered over the bed and looked at the suit again. It didn't move. I didn't understand why it wasn't moving, why it wasn't pitch black and seeping with ink, or why the eyes weren't glowing with fire. "You're finally awake." a (male/female) voice behind me echoed.

I quickly turned, I almost stumbled on my own feet trying to turn to see who it was talking to me. I looked around, but all I could see were rocks and the technology I saw earlier. I eyes darted across the giant cave trying to find the source of the voice, until I saw something move. I saw a (man/woman) approach me, (he/she) seemed familiar yet different. I was petrified, I wanted to move but my legs wouldn't allow me to, (he/she) approached me with a calm but menacing aura. It reminded me of him, but it couldn't be him, he was...he was dead. Right, he was dead. My mind raced as of to why I was still afraid of him, I couldn't find an answer. (He/She) spoke in a calm, yet demanding, voice "Dr. Jonathan Crane. Heard lots about you, even endured your latest batch of toxin. So" (he/she) paused, getting closer to me, I was unable to back up as I was now pressed against the bed "where's Harley Quinn?"

I was practically at his mercy. I was frail, no way would I be able to take blows from (him/her) much less give them. The harlequin betrayed me either way, I just want to get out. No more toxin, no more crime, I just wish to be a doctor again. I looked in his eyes and I saw.... desperation. I don't think (he/she) wishes to harm me, nor do I think (he/she) intends to. I sighed and spoke "Harley Quinn is in the sewers. Jones is mostly responsible for helping that out. Firefly and Bane are also in on it. Quinn also has Nightwing, as a bargaining chip." after I told (him/her) that, (he/she) looked worried. He may not be him but (he/she) definitely acts like a hero. "What do you gain from all of this? Surely not fame or fortune. Why do all of this?" I asked solemnly. (He/She) turned and looked me in my eyes "I just want out" (he/she) sighed, looking away as if (he'd/she'd) done something unspeakable.

I could tell (he/she) wanted out just as badly as I do, I knew I couldn't give (him/her) everything but I could at least help (him/her). "I understand," I spoke with regret in my voice "if it would mean anything, I would like to assist you in finding Quinzel." "And in return?" (he/she) asked as (he/she) gestured (his/her) arms. "I get out. That's it, that's all. Out of crime and out of Gotham." I responded. The (man/woman) nodded at me and brought (his/her) hand out. I was almost taken aback, normally deals like this lead to a 'I'll talk with someone' or and alteration of said deal. (He/She) was quick to just say 'deal', it surprised me. I brought my hand and shook (his/hers).

"I don't mean to be blunt" I asked as we released the handshake "but, what is your name?" "(F/N), (F/N) (L/N)." (he/she) said with almost a gleam in (his/her) eyes. I knew that name from somewhere, alas I found it best not to ponder on it. (He/She) looked at me and said "Right this way doctor, we have a bird to find."

A/N: So, if you are reading this when I first comes out, hi I'm back. And you'll have probably already seen the rest of the chapters gone up. This book is finally getting completed! I haven't touched it in a year, I've been slowly working on my life and I feel like I've found my footing. Once all the parts are up I'll be releasing a little announcement on my conversations. Other than that, I hope you enjoy the finished product after some many moons. Hope you enjoyed and have a good day/night. :)