CHAPTER TWO

Chapter Two

Sol pulled her VCX-100 out of hyperspace. It rattled and groaned, the old engines whining in protest.

"Oh, quiet you." Sol mused as she flipped a switch, cooling off the ship's systems. Below her, the waters of Ahch-To shimmered and glinted like silk in the sun.

"Where are you, Luke?" She muttered.

Using the steering handles, Sol brought the ship as close to the water as she could to be able to see the surrounding islands.

The young Gray Jedi had tried to contact her former Jedi Master many times with the force but had come to a dead end each time, leaving her disappointed but not entirely surprised.

After a couple of years, Sol assumed him to be dead. Kylo's news of her old master's survival had left Sol with a pit in her stomach. Unease writhing like a snake.

A part of her was thrilled that he was alive. She could possibly finish her training that had been left in the dust and ashes of his now-ruined temple.

The other was guilt. Guilt that she had left him, that she had left her fellow padawans to Ben's explosive wrath.

Sure, she had spent years looking for him. But she also wasn't able to help him when needed her. How would he take it? Would Luke shun her too, call her a coward as Ben did? Would he shout at her as he did in her dreams?

Then there was a disappointment that clawed at her heart every hour of every waking day. The darkness found its way into the corners of her mind, unable to be washed away with meditation.

Sol hadn't been able to help him or Ben. She hadn't seen what would happen and there was no way she could have stopped it.

Not only was she disappointed in herself but also in Luke. Sol had thought he would reach out to her and anyone else who had survived the burning of his temple and his reputation, but instead, he ran and hid.

Sol wanted to call him a coward for running but the old master had good reason to and she hadn't done all that differently. The young Padawan Ben Solo had destroyed the temple and slaughtered his fellow Padawans, some of whom had been friends with him. Some who had loved him. Her negligence and blindness to the truth had forced her to watch them burn.

It had broken Sol's heart as she watched her fellow Padawans get slaughtered right in front of her by the wildfire that was Kylo Ren. She had tried to stop him, tried to speak reason into him but the wound was so fresh in his mind that no words could get to him.

After the tragedy, Sol felt her bond with the former Ben Solo strengthen. She remembered being confused and hurt as to why the force wanted her to connect to the newly appointed Sith Lord. After all, he had become a beacon for destruction and hate, and Sol was trying so hard not to stumble into the darkness after him.