CHAPTER SIX

The sun set was always Sol's favorite part of the day. The way the sky managed to melt into a brilliant show in the sky changing colors by the second. The sunset's on Arkanis where dull compared to the blood-red color that spread across the sky. The colors reflected in the water around the island.

Sol sat on the stone Rey had sat on only a couple of hours ago. The young grey Jedi had found herself drawn to the ancient temple. Perhaps it was the undeniable connection to the force the old remains had. She often found herself sitting in the temple and meditating, drifting in and out of the force. Sol could see much of the island from her perch. Later that day she noticed the scavenger using the legendary Skywalker saber from her perch on the stone. Rey had managed to cut off the top of a large rock she was practicing on with a chaotic swing of the blade. The girl was strong and untrained. It made her vulnerable.

The footsteps of the old Jedi master and the scavenger could be heard as they walked up the stairs to the main temple room. Sol slid off the rock to meet them in the cavern. She walked towards the center of the cavernous room as Rey and Luke entered. She gave a slight bow to the old master. A habit that had stuck even after the academy had been destroyed. Luke mirrored the action in return.

"As you see Rey, even after the Jedi had been destroyed, they had become romanticized. If you strip away the myth and look at the deeds. The legacy of the Jedi is failure." Luke said sitting by the small circular mural. "Hubris."

"That's not true." Rey denied going to sit by the old Jedi. Sol moved over to stand by them.

"At the height of their powers, they allowed Darth Sidious to rise and create the Empire. It was a Jedi master who was responsible for the training and creation of Darth Vader." Luke retaliated.

"And it was a Jedi who saved him." Rey moved closer. "Yes, he was the most hated man in the galaxy, but you saw there was conflict inside him, you believed that he could be turned."

"And I became a legend," Luke added. "For many years there was a balance. Then I saw Ben,"

Sol tensed.

"My nephew. With that mighty Skywalker blood. In my hubris, I thought I could train him, pass on my strength." Luke shook his head, his body slouching with disappointment and distain. "Han was, well Han about it. Leia... trusted me with her son. I took him and a dozen students." Luke glanced over at Sol.

"And began a training temple. By the time I realized, I was no match for the darkness rising in him. It was too late."

"What happened?" Rey asked. Sol closed her eyes, hoping her mind would spare her the memories.

"I went to confront him, and he turned on me," Sol looked up promptly. She didn't know that part. She was only there when the temple had burned. Luke took a shuddering breath as he painfully relived the memory.