Chapter Three: Actress

Today is just going so slowly. I think I'm going to commit suicide before the end-of-school bell goes. And even then I'm stuck here. I have a forty minute lunch break before my last two classes for the day, but then I have the stupid detention. Unless...unless I just don't go. Surely one day wouldn't hurt, right? Social Studies goes by real quick. I have a real nice teacher called Mr Ruffalo, but he lets us all nickname him Buffalo, he doesn't mind the slightest. When I turn up to my Math class, thankfully I see Chris already in there. I take the seat beside him straight away. "Saves meeting up at the library huh," I say, smiling.

"Hey you! How has your day been?"

"Ugh. Horrible. I had Drama with Downey, he's a right bully! And then this girl called Rebekah was blaming me for her crappy piece of work. Somehow I ended up with a detention afterschool-"

"So you can't hang out after?" Chris asks with a disappointed expression.

"No it'll be fine. I skipped After-schools all the time at my old school."

"Yeah, but Oli, this isn't your old school. He'll murder you if you don't go. It's fine, we can hang out tomorrow."

I nod my head and pay attention to the teacher who's now talking about a load of algebra rubbish. He's nice enough, just has a boring voice. When the bell goes for the end of school, I groan knowing that, not only do I have to trudge all the way to the other side of the school, but I also have a detention with quite possibly the meanest teacher ever. "It's fine. I'll walk you to your detention. Are you boarding here?" Chris asks as we make our way.

"Unfortunately for me, yes. You?"

"No I just study here, I'm not allowed in the dorms, but I'll come wait for you in the mornings though if you like. So you don't get lost."

"Yeah, that'd be a big help."

"Oh, here, take my number too. You know...Just in case."

"Oh, yeah, thanks. Here, take mine too." We swap phones, adding eachother's numbers to our phones. I added myself under the name 'Badass Girl', just for a laugh. He won't know till he tries to message or ring me. I wish I could be there to see him frantically searching through his phone.

"So... A detention on your first day? How does it feel to be on level one hundred of badass-ness?" He asks with a chuckle as we near the Drama Building doors.

"I seriously think there's something inside me that turns the teachers against me. Like, they all just hate me straight away, there has to be a strange anti-teacher pheromone inside me or something."

"Haha! Don't worry. Downey can be softened if he has to be. I've been here for five years, he's not as bad as he makes out to be." I turn and face him whilst he leans against the glass door.

"Don't judge him unless he teaches you! He was all nice and smiley when he was 'Principal Downey'. When it comes to Drama-Downey, I thought hell was going to erupt from his chest!" Chris mouthes something to me and widens his eyes as he stands up straight. What a weirdo. "What? You don't believe me? I'm telling you, that man is an asshole..." his jaw drops and his eyes close, "like seriously, Mr Downey needs to..." I drift off, suddenly realising what I did. Uh-oh.

I slowly turn around to find my worst nightmare standing there, hands on hips tapping his foot. There's invisible steam coming out his ears, I swear.

"Oh, no. Do continue. Enlighten me. What does Mr Downey need to do?"

"Nothing..."

"Not only are you late, but you did exactly what I told you that you couldn'tdo. Mr Evans, you are dismissed." Chris nods his head and leaves. So much for the whole 'Downey can be softened'. Chris practically sprinted away when he was told to go. Downey opens the door and gestures me to go in. "Ladies first," he says with a fake smile. I fake-smile back and enter. When we get into the classroom, he tells me to sit where I sat earlier today in the lesson. "Is it a habit of yours Rosie?"