Part 6

*Weeks Later*
Ratchet's POV
"Why is this so difficult?!" I hiss, my gaze resting upon the formula for Synthetic Energon, along with the various array of scattered tools. "Nothing seems to going right as of late!"

Y/N has been gone for weeks now...

Get over it already! Just move on!

Suddenly, a continuous series of familiar toned beeps manage to snap me out of my thoughts.

"An Energon signature?" I muse aloud, leaving behind my work and focusing on the information at hand, pulling up the source of the signal's origins, surprised at the familiarity of its location. "Optimus, I have an Energon reading not too far from where we last encountered the Decepticons."

"Things have been all too quiet around here when it comes to Con' activity..." The voice of Arcee states, the sound of everyone else's footsteps following not far behind her statement.

"It does seem sort of an odd occurance..." I add, looking towards Optimus, who looked thoughtful.

"It is worth investigating. For all we know it may very well be a likely source of Energon." The Leader determines, heading towards the Groundbridge controls.

"You're going by yourself?" Bulkhead asks quizically, voicing the question that was likely shared between everyone.

"No. Ratchet, will you accompany me?" Optimus asks, turning to face his team.

I sigh, casting my gaze towards my messy workspace, mentally running the possibilities of ever finding a quiet moment to actually finish my work, before answering the waiting question.

"I don't see why-" I start, but Arcee cuts me off.

"Just go, Ratchet. You've spent too much time stuck in here working on that formula. I'll man the controls."

"Alright, alright! I'll go, but make sure Bulkhead doesn't crush anything of importance."

Nodding my thanks, I join Optimus at his side as Arcee activates the Groundbridge and we stroll into the vortex of green and blue.

On the other side, I take in the familiar surroundings of the canyon. The walls of rock and sand on either side feel pressing, closing in around me.

I sigh in an attempt to clear my head, focusing on the large boulders littering the ground before me, as the mech beside me begins his search, working on triangulating the source of the signal.

"You didn't stay true to your word..." The pained voice of Y/N swirls around my headspace as the regret and sorrow pushes itself to the front once more.

I tried! I tried Y/N! What could I possibly do to make it up to you?...

"Ratchet?" Optimus's voice pulls me from my thoughts, startling me slightly. "Are you alright?"

"Of course I'm fine! Why wouldn't I be?" I snap, my temper short.

The Prime lowers his gaze back to the screen in front of him and resumes his search, intent on finding the source of the signal.

If only... If only I could solidify that formula... Then, I wouldn't be so useless.

"The signal's source seems to be emitting from here."

Snap out of it!

"Huh." I huff, making my way to observe the possible source, surprise creeping up on me as I examine the area. "There's nothing here..."

"I fear we were not the only ones who picked up the same signal, my Old Friend." Optimus states as a new voice sounds from farther down the canyon.