11. The Guardian Deity

Rena Kozume

Rena Kozume

Oikawa has made sure to text me whenever he had a chance and if I didn't respond, it would be either a spam of texts or questions if I was dying. I was never used to my phone blowing up this much, sure there was Kuroo but he wasn't as intense because he could just walk over to our house to check on us.

Getting out of bed was even harder the next morning, so much so that I didn't even make it to morning practice.

I wasn't the only one running late

For the second time

Kiyoko and I ran into each other on the way and significantly slowed down our pace. My breathing was finally coming back to normal and I could feel Kiyoko's eyes on my face.

"Did you get some sleep last night?"

Immediately my body tensed at the question. I scratched the back of my head and gave a nervous laugh whilst avoiding eye contact.

"Not really. My brother called me last night to say that our friend found out about me transferring here and is on his way today." She raised an eyebrow. "And I wasn't really tired in the first place."

She nodded her head before she began thinking as I let out a small sigh of relief. The first half of my sentence was true and I was nervous about Kuroo coming here angry. But it wasn't the reason I couldn't sleep last night.

It was a nightmare that I haven't had in forever. It replayed the moments from when I was little and right before Oikawa and Iwazumi made it in time. Every time I attempted to close my eyes, it would come immediately and my heart would race. Usually this would happen more frequently but since I came to karasuno, this is the first time in months.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and shrieked in response. My skin crawled with chills.

"Rena, I have been calling your name for a while now. Are you okay?"

Kiyoko generally looked concerned and I felt bad for lying but I didn't want her to look at me differently.

Just as we made it to the gym, I unconsciously rubbed my arm and gave her a smile. "I'm okay, just tired and zoned out for a second."

I quickly opened the door to get away from more questions when a familiar scream was heard.

"Kiyoko-san and Rena-san! I have come to see you!"

Kiyoko acted instinctively by pushing me out of the way and slapping Nishinoya before he could grab one of us. As Kiyo left to talk to sensei, Nishinoya and I made eye contact which led to him giving me an innocent smile. I stayed stoic as I walked up to him and laid my hand in between his neck and shoulder.