8- Enigmas

"Remember guys, we're going to win by losing." Josie said as we huddled up.

It was the homecoming game of the school sport, Flag football. I was a great football player but they didn't have the real version here so I figured I'd join up and have some fun.

That was until I realized we had to lose every game.

"I don't lose." I said to her.

She looked taken back. "Come on guys let's not go through this again."

"He's right though. You got me and now we got Achilles, and Raf. Not to mention MG caught that ball year. We're good this year, let's be good." Kaleb said.

"We don't need to use our super speed or our super strength, or our witch powers to win." Kaleb said continuing to give his little speech.

Josie thought for a little bit before looking back at Dr. Saltzman who was sitting next to Hope and Landon. "Fine, but no abilities of any kind."

"Stallions on three." Lizzie said smiling evilly.

"One.. two.. three.." Lizzie started.

"Stallions!" We all cheered at once.

We got up to the line ready to go.

MG and Kaleb on one side. Rafael and I on the other.

I looked at him. "You ever play football?"

He shook his head. "Never got the chance but I love madden and watching it."

"Alright that means you know this. I'll do a post, you do an out. They're playing man so it'll throw them off. Easy score." I said to him.

He nodded.

"Hut!" Lizzie yelled.

I ran seven yards and dug my cleats into the turf as I cut towards the middle of the end-zone. We were still on our own thirty yard line.

The two defenders that were covering Rafael and I ran into each and fell over as they got mixed up in our routes. I was still covered by the safety.

"Lizzie!" Rafael yelled.

Lizzie switched up her stance and launched the ball ten yards towards the sideline where Rafael caught it and quickly cut up field he took off down the sideline and ran another sixty yards for a touchdown.

The Stallions crowed roared as we went up 6-0.

"Hell of a call Ash." Rafael said as we did a quick handshake.

***
It was the fourth quarter. 36 seconds left. The score was 30-30.

We had just scored and were kicking the ball off.

We made a good stop at the thirty five yard line.

I was the safety, Lizzie and Josie were the ball rushers while MG, Kaleb, and Rafael played corner back.

"Come on guys, thirty seconds left we need a stop." I said encouraging the team.

They had four total plays unless they got a first down to score before time ran out.

We had four to stop them.

The first play fell incomplete, due to perfect coverage by Kaleb.

The second play went twenty yards. They were now at the fifty yard line with 15 seconds left on the clock.

They snapped the ball again quickly going for the deep ball. MG got beat to the outside and their quarterback had their eyes down field on their receiver.

I scrambled and angled the receiver off as the ball flew through the air. I picked the back pocket of the receiver and snagged the ball out of the air.

Interception.

I heard the crowd roaring in my ears as I came down with the ball, but now was no time for celebration. I dug my cleats into the field and took off down the sideline.

By now I had opposing players to worry about.

I cut back on one kid as he went tumbling out of bounds. The crowd rose to their feet as I just embarrassed that kid.

A sudden increase of pressure ripped into my side almost causing me to lose balance. What the hell was that?

I had no time to think about it.

They were going for the full on tackle, anything to keep us from scoring this touchdown.

Their quarterback, an athletic boy dropped his shoulder at my knees as he neared me.

The thing was I had been in track when I was younger. Hurdles.

I launched my feet up in perfect hurdle form and cleared over the back of their quarterback. I ran the rest of the way into the end-zone home free.

I looked back to see Josie standing in the middle of the field clearly disappointed that we had just won.

The crowd waited for us as we came off the field, congratulating us as we passed.

"Hey Achilles man, way to win our first game since the school was founded." Jack said patting me on the back. "Why don't you ask your mom to get the camera."

I knew there was a catch.

I spun around ready to knock him on his ass but someone had beat me to it.

"Hey Jack." Landon said tapping his shoulder.

"Oh what are you going to do about it monster?" He snarled.

Landon stepped back. "Wow you get distracted really easily."

Hope came from behind him and judo flipped him over her back and pinned him to the ground.

"Alright that's enough." Dr. Saltzman said pushing through.

"You know, we may all be special in our own way but we got one thing in common." Hope said coming between Landon and I putting her arms through ours and dragging us with her.

"Dead parents?" Landon asked disgusted.

Hope grimaced. "That sounded a lot better in my head."

"I got an idea for the name of our faction." I said to them. "How does the Enigmas sound?"

"What does Enigma mean?" Landon asked.

Hope looked at him like he was stupid. "An Enigma is a person or thing that is mysterious or difficult to understand."

Landon smiled. "I like it. You got a Phoenix, a werewolf/ vampire/ witch tribrid and now we got a demigod."

"Makes sense." Hope said.

I smiled as I began to speak.

"I hereby dub us as the Enigmas."