16- Trust Issues

"How'd you find us?" Landon asked as we approached them at a small diner downtown.

Hope looked at me. "Achilles, want to explain?"

I looked away guilty and ashamed, she was right I had gone too far with the whole tracker thing but I mean it came in handy.

"Fine. I will." Hope said flicking her wrist as the watch came off Olivia's ankle and floated into her hand.

She flicked her other wrist and the watch snapped off my wrist and into her other hand.

Landon's eye widened as he looked at me. "Oh, that looks bad."

Olivia looked at me feeling betrayed, she knew I didn't trust her but she didn't know I needed to go to such lengths.

She opened and closed her mouth trying to find the right words.

She sighed and stood up. "You're ridiculous."

I had nothing to say. She was right, it was my mission and I was not being a very good leader.

"I'll go talk to her." Hope said glaring at me before following her out of the diner. 

Landon motioned at the chair in front of him and stood up. "I'm going to go get you a coffee and then you and I are going to have a talk." He said smiling.

"Am I in trouble?" I asked chuckling as I sat down.

"No, I understand why you did it so I'm just gonna offer you some advice."

"Sounds good." I said going on my phone and waited for him to come back.

***
"Olivia. Olivia, wait up." Hope said jogging to catch up with her.

"Shouldn't you be back with your friends?" She asked her clearly upset. Red eyes and tear stained cheeks were evidence of that.

"Olivia, just take some deep breaths. It's okay." Hope said grabbing her shoulders.

"It's just that I don't know we started talking and everything and we were getting fairly close and then he just asked to me homecoming and all my walls went up and then Jack came along and told me that I could keep my walls up if I went with him and I just didn't want to end up getting hurt because look at him he's like the perfect guy and all I did was hurt him." She rambled on as she leaned back against a brick wall.

"I'm going to tell you a story about Landon and I." Hope said to her.

"When he first showed up to Salvatore we didn't know what he was. We thought he was human, so we tried to wipe his mind and send him home which didn't work. We put him in a cellar for his protection and we ended up kissing. The very next day we tried to wipe his mind again and we thought it had worked when he had just been faking it. He took a valuable knife that resulted in Malivore and all that coming to life." Hope started.

"Yeah I know I was there, what are you trying to get to?"

Hope raised a finger tell her to just listen. "I felt betrayed and broken and I was going to do anything to get that knife back especially after the vision that I saw of him killing tens of people on that bus which wasn't actually him. Anyway, I brought along a death spell to use on him."

Olivia's eyes widened. "You're insane."

"I was, yes but that's not the point. He broke my trust and I was angry so I thought I needed to do something back. Then next thing you know I was turning around and voted him out of school, but things worked out in the end." She said wiping one of Olivia's tears.

"All you can hope is that it does for you."

***
"Okay, whats up?" I asked Landon as he handed me my coffee.

"Look I have your back with everything and all, you know that but I'm gonna be man to man with you here but you need to let go with whatever grudge you're holding against her."

"Why?"

"Because it helps no one. All it does is make her sad and stress you out. Trust me, I once did something dumb and Hope honest to god literally tried to kill me for it. All I wanted was for her to just let it go and see me for who I really was, and eventually she did." He said to me.

"Okay yeah sure, but I don't even have feelings for her so I don't see why it matters."

"Please." He said rolling his eyes. "I saw the way you looked at her when she was sleeping on you aboard the bus."

I smiled a little. "Okay I'll let up a bit, but no promises." I said as I watched Hope and Olivia walk in. "Speak of the devil."

Landon turned around and waved to Hope as they walked across the diner. Olivia and I made eye contact and I knew she was hurting. I looked down and suddenly found my knife interesting.

She sat down next to me as Hope took a seat next to Landon.

"What's our next move?" Hope asked.

Eyes fell on me for answers. I was too busy feeling guilty and upset to realize they needed a leader.

"Ash?" Landon asked me.

I looked up. "Oh yeah uh, it's roughy a day or two by train to get to Denver. Normally a day with layovers, but no matter how enhanced our bodies are it's not healthy to stay up for a full day. So, with the occasional monster attack it could take up to three days, two if we're lucky."

"Why don't we just take a car?" Landon asked.

"You have to be twenty one to rent a car babe." Hope said patting his arm.

"Okay train it is."

"It's getting pretty late in the day, it's almost one o'clock already and a train to Kansas City, Missouri is eight hours. We can grab a motel there." I said to them.

"With what money?" Olivia asked quietly.

"My mom was loaded before she was killed. So I got all the money now." I said standing up.

"Next stop. Kansas City."