13- The Demon

September 29th, 2019

"Happy birthday to you." Hope's voice echoed from outside my door. It was starting to get late in the evening, it was almost eight o'clock.

"Happy birthday to you." I picked out Landon's voice from the crowd that was outside my door. He was a good singer.

"Happy birthday dear, Achilles." Raf's voice now. Why was everyone here good at singing.

"Happy birthday to you." Josie sang finishing it off as the door opened.

"Surprise!" They all shouted in unison as I was tackled backwards onto my bed by Landon and Rafael.

"Okay, okay. That's enough." I said squirming out from under them. "Thank you guys."

"Make a wish." Hope said holding out the cake which had eighteen candles on it.

"Oh god, I don't even know what to wish for. Especially in a world where there's a pretty good chance my wishes would come true."

I closed my eyes and thought about what I could possibly want. I blew out the candles.

"What did you wish for?" They asked.

"Nothing, I couldn't think of anything."

"Humble." MG said smiling. "A true hero for a true quest."

I rubbed my head. "I completely forgot about that. What am I still doing here?" I said accusing myself.

"Ash, stop." Landon said to me. "It's your birthday, you need to celebrate."

"Here, we got you this." Rafael said bringing a gift forward.

"You shouldn't have." I said as I opened the gift and pulled out a black leather jacket. It was awesome.

"Thanks guys. It's awesome." I said smiling as I put it on and fit it just right.

"Every hero needs a sweet leather jacket for their mission." MG said laughing.

"MG, enough with the quest stuff. He's probably got enough anxiety just thinking about it the way it is." Josie said slapping his chest.

We celebrated for the next hour, just talking and laughing until everyone headed back to their rooms around ten.

I sighed and headed down to the library to do some studying, I must've been tired because I was quick to fall asleep on that chair.

My eyes slowly closed and I struggled to keep them open. I eventually stopped fighting and just let myself fall into a dreamless sleep.

I opened my eyes. I was sitting in the library. Must've fallen asleep studying.

I rubbed my eyes and closed my books as I stood up. I silently walked over and placed them on the shelf.

It was still dark out, must've been extremely late."

"Oh no, it happening." I said to myself remembering the dream from a week ago. "Gods damnit." I cursed at myself. Wait, did I just say Gods, plural, when did that start.

I began to walk around the school suddenly being brave. If this was the same as my dream, I needed to get to the bottom of what was going on.

Something crashed and shattered in the kitchen.

I followed the noise to an empty kitchen except for the glass cup that was on the ground. The ground was wet around it, someone had been using this before it broke.

A shadow flew passed behind me, I turned quickly and chased the figure down the hall.

It turned a quick right and ran out the front doors. The creature slammed the doors closed in the process.