Eden

"Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

-Gen 3: 5

__________

Zelda dreamt of a garden.

It was massive, expansive, with a beauty that could only come from a dream. There was a breeze, and she was dressed in nothing more than a pale slip, but it was not cold, nor was she uncomfortable. Plants rose to greet her, the sun gleamed through the glade bathing everything in soft yellow light. A deer looked her way and did not engage. Zelda realized she never wanted to leave.

She walked where her heartfelt was right, one foot in front of the other, sinking in the soil below her. When she came upon the only corrosive thing in the garden, she knew she had reached her destination.

The tree was grey, with gnarled branches which resembled claws. Desecrated fruit littered the base of it, half eaten from maggots. A dark blot in an otherwise bright world.

"There's beauty in this too, sweet Zelda. Though it seems unlikely." Then there was Lilith, materializing beside her seemingly out of nowhere dressed in robes of white and gold as if she were an angel, though Zelda knew the truth. Had she been with her this entire time? Perhaps she had been the one guiding her all along.

"Lilith." Zelda's voice was softer than she remembered it ever being, and she bowed her obeisance, though Lilith did not allow it for long.

"Rise my child, and restore the tree to its beauty." The witch rose from the ground, and though she was uncertain, she walked towards the tree. The air daunted her but she did not stop, her goddess behind her pushing her through her fear. Zelda stretched her hands to the trunk, feeling the magic emanating from it. She concentrated on her own power, pushing it to the very core of the wood. It rejuvenated her, realizing she had control to give life to something that had been dead for longer than her entire lifetime.

The bark became amber under her fingertips, the flora returning with a vengeance in vibrant lilac and blush, even the fruit from the ground returned to their perch, unaltered. Zelda was tempted to take some of it for herself.

"You can eat of it, I will not keep it from you." Lilith offered the witch an encouraging nod, so Zelda reached, having to go on the tips of her toes to grab the low hanging fruit. It fit in her palm like an apple, but when she took an anticipatory bite the taste that flooded her mouth was of pomegranate. She gave Lilith a curious look who only returned with one of her own.

"What does it taste like to you?" Zelda wiped what felt like pomegranate juice from her mouth, and admired how the stain of red conflicted with her skin.

"Like the best pomegranate, I have ever tasted." Lilith smiled slightly, impressed even at the revelation.

"Well then, sweet Zelda, I suppose you know what you must do."

-

Zelda awoke to what felt like a caress on her cheek, but upon observation, she saw there was no one but her and Hilda in the room-the latter who was snoring rather loudly. But Zelda could not have been closer to peace.

For weeks she had prayed for a sign from Lilith, for weeks had she been silent. Zelda thought that perhaps she was asking the wrong questions, that Lilith found her weak as she woke petrified from nightmares every morning. But last night, in that beautiful garden, Lilith had chosen her-and had shown her the strength she forgot she had.

It did not mean she would never have nightmares, or that her panic would disperse itself like birds when the chill of September hit in Greendale. All it meant was that she was capable, and as Lilith said, understanding of what needed to be done.

So like the tree in the garden, with its fruit of unending knowledge that she had the privilege to taste-if only in a dream, she would rebuild the church and the academy. She would give the wayward witches and warlocks a new home, not under the oppression of a deity but instead, under the guidance of nurture and free-will.

Yes, she would start there and hoped it would be pleasing to Lilith.

It was still early, the dawn barely breaking on the horizon from what Zelda could decipher from her window. There were many children to feed and so she figured it was best to get started. No other adults had survived, at least none as old as Hilda or herself. Many of the remaining were self-sufficient, but they still looked to the Spellman sisters for guidance, not only as heads of the academy but as mothers. It was a terrifying thought. But every day they got through it, no matter the challenges.

"Zelda? You should've woken me. You're cracking the eggs all wrong."

"No shells are in the bowl, I don't think I am cracking them wrong." Hilda gave her an unamused glare, never the morning person between the two of them. Her short blonde hair was tousled, and her eyes bleary with sleep. "Were you wrestling with a demon in your sleep? You look awful." Zelda jokes. Hilda moved her away from the bowl, taking over the egg duties with swift and expert hands.

"Toast some of the bread I made yesterday, please? And careful not to burn it." Zelda followed Hilda's directions, if only because toasting bread was an easy job. She contently sliced the two loaves in thin, flat planes. Placing them carefully on the baking sheet she would set in the oven for a short time. The smell of coffee grinds brewing expanded through the house, and the sizzle of eggs in the pans added to the serenity of the morning.

"You didn't have a nightmare last night." Hilda began with certainty in her voice. "Did she come and visit you?" Zelda gently placed the pan in the oven, closing it gingerly as to not arouse the children who were only a room away.

"Yes." She answered. "I saw her, and she was beautiful. More than beautiful really..."

"Angelic?" Hilda offered.

"She showed me the garden and I ate from the tree. Now it is time to rebuild the church, one in her image."

"Zelda, are you sure?" Hilda rested her hand on her older sister's arm gently, and Zelda placed her hand over Hilda's in the same fashion.

"The time for being afraid is over now, I am sure. She gave me her blessing, and these children need a proper home. A new purpose." The timer for the bread beeped and the eggs were finished with the coffee. Hilda had many pastries set aside and of course, there was an assortment of other fares to be had. It was time to wake everyone up.

"Well then sister, let's pass out breakfast and discuss our plan."