Temple

"That thine eyes may be open toward this house night and day, even toward the place of which thou hast said, My name shall be there: that thou mayest hearken unto prayer which thy servant shall make towards this place."

1 Kings 8: 29.

__________

Zelda and Hilda had discussed, ad nauseam, the preparations for both the church and the academy. The main agreement was that they would be combined as there were so little of them left. Lilith had made it clear through her signals that learning, not worship would be the main focus. So the place of worship would be humble. Though she had not corresponded with Zelda since her dream.

Patience was a virtue, and Zelda planned to be so. She could not ignore how lost she felt whenever she looked for an answer that Lilith was not willing to give her. Zelda only wanted to go about things the right way. So she sat in what would be her office once things were finished, and she prayed on her knees, hands clasped together.

"Dark Mother," Her voice came out in a quiet whisper, a plea. "I have begun with the task you gave me, yet I have many questions. Some of which I am sure I don't know to ask. The children look to you in your Church, yet the greatest task ahead is to seek others to join, and turn away from the influence of Lucifer. And adversaries are still on the loose, at every corner ready to feed on your delicate congregation. I am sure you're well aware of this. I just ask, humbly, that you share your answers with me. So that I may raise up your name and your teachings."

A soft breeze blew the curtains from a window that was not open before. Zelda stayed in her prayer stance. The scent of lavender, sulfur, and pomegranate gently brushed against her senses. A strangely sweet combination, one that Zelda was sure to grow fond of.

"Are you here, Dark Mother? I feel you here." No verbal answer came, but she felt the permission she needed to ask her questions. "Are our plans pleasing to you?" A gentle hand brushed against her back, claws scraping ever so lightly against the fabric of her dress, she did not turn around. Yes.

"The temple for your children to abide in will be done, and it shall be called qui vincula erumpit because you have given us true freedom." A breeze came and went again, but Lilith's presence was still heavy in the room, like a vortex of energy Zelda was not familiar with.

"A second question, if I may ask it. My night-children Leticia and Judas, are they alright?" The word had many connotations, one of them being 'alive' which was the most important to the witch. She wished Ambrose and Prudence all the luck and skill needed to take down Blackwood once and for all. But her heart yearned for her night-children as they were the only two that were not currently under her charge. Zelda missed Leticia especially.

"They will come to you during a time of great strife, but you have nothing to be afraid of, for they will both survive and return to your care soon enough." Zelda gasped softly at Lilith's voice, deeper and more ancient than Mary Wardwell's, though that was how she appeared to Zelda in the garden.

"A time of great strife, my queen?" Zelda inquired, what about the last few months was not great strife? It left the redhead on the edge of fear again.

"Do you trust me, my high priestess?" Trust was a big word. Did Zelda enjoy the idyllic values the goddess presented? Yes. But it was hard to forget the lies, though they were Satan's orders, and Zelda understood that abuse and coercion could make one do terrible things. Zelda supposed she trusted her to stay true to her word about her commandments at the very least, so she nodded yes. "Then understand that no matter what happens, I am in your corner. So though you may feel afraid, you will never have a reason to be."

"Many work against us, I know this. I see it in hell as on earth. Those who orchestrate their devious plans will find hellfire instead of victory, I assure you. Continue to build the temple for my followers, which you are doing so well. And in the week after it is completed you shall hold a celebration, that is when I will come to you next."

"Yes, my queen."

"And Zelda? Stand up and turn around to face me." Zelda did as she was instructed, turning to see Lilith still appearing as Mary Wardwell, and not anything like the demon she had imagined was behind her the whole time. The demoness stood by the window, hands in the pockets of her humble pantsuit. She was dressed very mortal-like.

"Yes?" Lilith took her time waltzing to Zelda with all the confidence the witch wished she could possess in the demoness' presence. She only stopped half a foot away from her, eye to eye in the heels she wore.

"Don't bow to me. You're my High Priestess-it's beneath you. In any case, it's quite difficult to have a conversation when you're on your knees, not looking in my direction." A small, amused smirk graced Lilith's lips.

"Of course. I won't." The queen of Hell examined Zelda's eyes with curiosity. The witch was slightly uncomfortable under the scrutiny of the demoness' gaze, but she kept the eye contact and waited until she was spoken to again.

"I want to give you something."

"Like what?" Zelda inquired rather impulsively. She inwardly chided herself about her untamed curiosity.

"You fear that you have enemies, and it's true, you do. So I will extend some of my power to you, and if the time ever comes where you need me and I cannot be there physically, you will have me." It was a simple exchange, Lilith just kissed Zelda's cheek. The witch did not feel any different but she supposed it would show when it was needed.

"Thank you, I don't know how I can repay you for this."

"It doesn't need payment, it is a gift." The raven-haired woman turned back towards the window as if it were a portal back to Hell, perhaps it was.

"Wait," She stopped her pursuits and turned back to Zelda, with an upturned brow. But it wasn't angry, so Zelda proceeded. "You always appear as Mary Wardwell... when will... will you ever show me your true self?"

"Perhaps one day you will see. But for now, Zelda, rest assured in the things I've already promised." Then she disappeared, and the witch felt as if she had blinked and missed an entire part of the day.

The rest of it went by fast, time making up for the lag from earlier. Zelda finished going over plans for numerous projects in the works, and periodically she'd glance behind her to the window wishing Lilith would come back.