CHAPTER TWO

★★★

"And when you look at his smile, do I cross your mind?"

★★★

"Y'all better get inside or Mama says you aren't eating!"

Lauren Atkinson was four feet and nine inches of fury. Or, as much fury as a nine year old can hold. She had to be, to catch up with her two older brothers.

A sixteen year old Charles, twenty year old Jake, and four of their cousins were playing football in their grandma's backyard. They all smelled like body odor and fertilizer, their knees and a few faces were scraped from tackling each other in some kind of macho-man contest that was the underlying reason they started throwing the football to begin with.

Charles loved sports. From the time he was little, he was running around outside like a kid hyped up on steroids, doing every sport he could think of. He eventually settled on loving baseball, but he could still hold his own against his cousins.

The mosquitos buzzed around them despite the citronella candles their grandmother had lit. The boys gave each other a scared look, knowing that Marie wasn't joking about not eating, and ran towards the house, pushing each other out of the way and laughing good-naturedly.

"--ay, and we thank you for.."

"Dude, shut up!"

"Sorry!"

Their southern drawl was normal in America, but not in London. It was one of the things that Charles didn't like about his home in England. Everywhere he went and opened his mouth, he would get comments about his accent (which he never could hear. They were the ones with the accents, if anything!).

"...ou, Amen."

"Amen!" Jackson, one of their cousins, exclaimed as he barged through the door. The rest followed suit, watching as Jackson leaned over their grandmother to grab a roll before sitting down.

She hit his arm with the back of her hand, laughing as he winced, "Go wash your hands, have some common sense!" He reluctantly went to wash his hands, later sitting down with the rest of them at the long table.

The daily necessary small talk commenced, filled with the typical talk of how work went and what everyone got done today. Until his weird uncle that probably has lung cancer had to open his weird, smelly mouth.

"Say, Charles, how is that fancy bordin' school you go to workin' out for ya?"

His entire family were all muggles. Nothing wrong with that, but he couldn't exactly tell them he went to some wizard school in Scotland. Not to mention, like the majority of people down south in America, they all believed in God and went to church religiously (literally), so witchcraft was a big no-no.

He washed the crumbs in his mouth down with a swig of water, "Uh, yeah, it's going pretty good."

He tried to answer personal questions with the bare minimum, so no one would suspect anything.

"Find you a nice girl up there? Ya know, a British girl with an accent? 'Oh, Chah-lee!'" Jackson imitated, fluttering his eyelashes and snickering when Charles punched his shoulder.

"Shut up, man."

"Be nice, boys," Marie, his mom, admonished, quickly moving her attention to scolding Lauren for chewing with her mouth open.

It wasn't that Charlie couldn't find a girl. Lots of them thought his accent was cute, and he didn't think he was too ugly. Any fling he had lasted only a few weeks, and even then he never felt anything like the books say he should. (Okay, so maybe he likes romance novels sometimes. Can't a guy have a guilty pleasure?)

They finished dinner rather quickly, moving to washing the dishes as the adults lounged in the living room watching the television.

"Hey, Charlie!"

He swiveled his head around, only to get a nose full of dish soap. Lauren stood in front of him, laughing and scrunching her nose up as she watched her older brother blow soap out of his nostrils hard and shake his head like a dog.

"Oh, I see how it is," He spoke slowly, scooping his hand into the soap in the sink, quickly lunging at his sister and spreading the bubbles across her blonde hair.

"Children, you better not be makin' a mess!" their Aunt Betsy, yelled.

"No, ma'am." they replied in unison, giving each other a playful glare.

"This isn't over", Charles mouthed to Lauren, who giggled and ran into the other room. He smiled, rolled his sleeves up, and got back to the dishes. 

---------------

Okay, this isn't super important to the plot, but I'm trying to show Charlie's personality and family life before we jump straight into things. The next few chapters are more relevant!

And, please, let me know how I'm doing, good or bad!

-a.d.