CHAPTER FIVE

★★★

"'Cause, I know what you really want, is a little more confidence

"'Cause, I know what you really want, is a little more confidence."

★★★

Fifty minutes.

He had taken fifty minutes out of his free time between classes walk up to the third floor bathroom mirror and just stare at his face.

Charlie hadn't told many people he was a Metamorphagus, only his three closest friends and inevitably his family. He never used his abilities, so he really didn't see any reason to bring more attention on himself than needed.

(His Transfiguration teacher, Professor McGonagall knew, however. Nothing gets past that lady.)

When he was a kid, before knowing how to control his gift, he would wake up in the morning to discover his nose had grown three sizes. It would take him hours to fix it, and it still never looked the same to him, despite what everyone else told him.

The same thing would happen with his hair color, eye color, ear shape, lips, etc. He would try his hardest to fix it back to some semblance of normalcy, but all that showed up in the mirror was a slightly better version of what he had woken up with. 

Never the same as before, but never too different for anyone else to notice.

It was like he wasn't Charlie anymore, but someone else entirely. Someone he had formed from the recesses of his brain. He was the image of himself he believed he should be, but not truly him. Never his authentic self.

That's where his crisis was stemming from. He had no idea who he was. And it terrified him.

An identity crisis.

Who was he? Was he just the sum of many random parts? Perhaps his nose was that of someone he saw on the street at age four, and he unknowingly changed his nose to the strangers. His entire face could just be a reconstruction of strangers parts. There was absolutely no way of knowing whose face he was wearing.

He leaned farther, closer towards the mirror. His breath fogged up the cool mirror slightly, as Charlie gave a deep sigh. He looked at his hair, shorter on the sides and longer on top, and wondered if the color was even the one he was born with. How would he know? His green eyes searched his reflection, looking for anything he could call his, and came up empty. He scrunched up just slightly crooked nose (he broke it as a kid playing soccer) and backed away from the mirror, headed out of the bathroom.

"Shit, sorry!"

Charles' ran directly into someone around the corner in the midst of his daydreaming, and he winced as he heard multiple papers fluttering to the floor.

"Language", Charlie mumbled under his breath, hearing his mom's voice in the back of his head as he smiled softly and bent down to help pick the papers up, "I'm sorry, I was day dreamin', not even looking where I was going."

He lifted his head slightly and came face to face with Remus Lupin. The dark haired boy smiled and he bent back down to pick the rest of his papers up. Charlie was trying desperately not to focus on how he could feel Remus' breath his his cheeks as the other boy gave a light laugh.

"Don't worry about it, Charles," he replied, stretching his arm out to pick up the rest of them and a few books he dropped.

"Charlie."

"What?" Remus questioned, stacking his papers together.

"Oh, it's just, uh— people call me Charlie, not Charles."

Remus rubbed the back of his neck with his free hand awkwardly, trying to avoid eye contact with the slightly taller boy, "Alright then, Charlie, I've got to go to Potions, but I'll see you around?"

"Uh— yeah?" It came out more as a question as Charlie awkwardly tried to clear his throat, a blush dotting his face, "Yeah, I'll see ya."

Remus walked off, unaware that the other boy had just as much of a blush on his cheeks and an odd feeling in his stomach as he did.

★★★

"Operation: Get Charlie Laid."

"Excuse me?" Charlie drawled, eyebrows raising to his forehead in disbelief.

"No, no, no, have some tact, Chip," Andy disagreed in a false fancy accent, drinking from her goblet of pumpkin juice as she tilted her chin in the air, straightening her back as if she were royalty, "We shall call it: Operation: Charlie Needs to Finally Just Bone Rem—"

"Okay, ya'know what?" Charlie questioned, giving a laughing Finn a glare, "I happened to think my love life is going quite well, thank you very much."

"Oh really?" Finn asked disbelievingly, "because we happened to be walking down the hallway and hear your little debacle this afternoon."

"What are you talking 'bout?"

"I'm sorry, I was just daydreaming about you, Remus, I didn't mean to run into you! I swear it!" Andy tittered in what was supposed to be Charlie's accent.

Red bloomed across the tall boy's cheeks as he shook his head quickly, "I don't know what you're talking about," he denied.

"Mhmm. Look, we all know you've got a thing for him, and he obviously has a thing for you. So, you just need to, like I said, Finally Bone Remu—"

"Keep your voice down!" He whisper yelled at Andy, eyes darting across the table.

"Aww, look Finny, ittle Charlie is in loveee!" Chip cooed, dramatically grasping on to Finn's scrawny arm.

"They grow up so fast!"

"I hate you all." Charles deadpanned, drinking his pumpkin juice and trying to calm his racing heart. 

...

"Ah, the frigid wind of teenage rebellion!"

"Shut up, Finn."

★★★