CHAPTER NINE

★★★

"You can pretend you don't care

"You can pretend you don't care."

★★★

Charlie was aware that he probably needed more than three hours of sleep per night to function. He was also aware that he couldn't reasonably live off of a diet of cookies and lemonade, but he had absolutely no regrets as he munched on a chocolate chip cookie in the kitchens, at one o'clock in the morning, in his pyjamas.

The house elves of Hogwarts hardly slept, and they didn't seem to mind, as they bustled around the kitchen to begin cleaning up for breakfast. Libby, Charlie's favorite elf- friend, fumbled her was across the commotion to offer Charlie some more food.

"No, thanks, Lib," he unknowingly spat crumbs out of his mouth, "I appreciate it, but I should probably get going." He stood up and dusted cookie crumbs off his pants.

"Libby is hoping you have a good day tomorrow, Mr. Atkinson!"

"I've told you, Libby, it's just Charlie. But thank you for the cookies!"

His mother would probably kill him if she knew he was eating sweets this late at night, but he couldn't help it. He was stressing out, big time. This was the third morning in a row he woke up with pimples on his face, and he was lucky he could just Metamorphagus his way out of that situation. He felt sick every time he shifted nowadays, but a mental crisis will do that to you.

He walked down the hallway, ears peeled for any teachers coming, as he quietly made his way towards the Hufflepuff dormitories. His head jolted at the sound of paws scuffling behind him. Crap. There was only one sound that could be, Filch's cat, Ms. Norris. That thing was the devil if he's ever known one. Dang, here comes a week of detention.

Charlie's eyes widened as he slowly backed away from the noise when two hands grabbed his shoulders and pushed him behind a statue quickly, before he had a chance to argue.

"Hello, Mr. Filch," the smooth voice said, not giving any sign of mischief away.

"Mr. Lupin," ah, of course, it seems like there's no avoiding his problems, Charlie thought, "What are you doing?" Mr. Filch questioned in a raspy voice, his bugged eyes darting across the corridor in search of problems. 

"Just patrolling, as prefects are told to," Remus slyly replied, fully aware that Filch had absolutely no reason to get anyone in trouble. 

"Yeah, yeah," Filch grunted, scuttling past the two of them and into the next corridor, hoping to catch some more students out past curfew.

Remus stayed where he was for around two minutes, tapping his foot with his arms crossed, until he was positive Filch couldn't hear, and turned his attention to Charlie, who had his back pressed against the statue and was trying to slow his racing heart.