CHAPTER TEN

★★★

"Am I just paranoid, am I just stoned?"

★★★

It's official: Charlie Atkinson was a basket case. Not the chill kind, like the Green Day song. No, that song was an absolute banger, and his current mental state was not. Damn.

Between having an identity crisis, the Lupin boy that he just can't seem to get rid of (and doesn't want to), and the ever present threat of that Voldemort guy harming his family, he was totally spent. His mental capabilities are currently slim to none, Charlie lamented as he slid into his desk in the greenhouse.

He's always had a soft spot for Herbology, although it's never had one for him. There had yet to be a week where he could walk out of the class unscathed, whether it be by a plant or by the gardening tools.

Really, who thought it was a good idea to allow a bunch of irresponsible kids access to sharp weapons?

This week, Professor Sprout had decided they would learn about the care of Fanged Geraniums: plants, with fangs, who would take it upon themselves to attack students if not cared for properly.

It was a recipe for disaster as the class began. Charlie shook his head quickly in an attempt to wake himself up and lumbered over to the rows of potted plants, bleary eyes searching for the one with his and his partners name on the clay.

"Need some help?"

He turned around to find his table partner, Maxine Jacobson, staring at him curiously. To be fair, it was probably the dark circles— and messy hair— and overall lack of clarity in his eyes that gave him away. He dropped his head backwards and rolled his eyes towards Maxine.

"Is it that obvious?" he groaned, dead on his feet.

"Only if you squint," Max joked, reaching around him to grab their large pot and wrap her arms around it, quickly casting a fertilizing spell, "Or if you have working eyes."

"Har har," Charlie mocked, filling her dutifully back to their table. Maxine was a Hufflepuff in his year, one of Chip's roommates, and an overall cool girl in his opinion.

She took it as her personal mission to stretch every dress code rule to the brink of breaking, just to test the Professors willpower. It wasn't anything too extravagant to begin with, but she would slowly hem her skirt shorter and unbutton her shirt daily until someone noticed. She also cut a slit in the leg of her robes to boast her tanned legs occasionally. She'd also come to class with different color nail polish daily, and Charlie and Chip had running wagers on what it would be next.

Although Maxine tried to come off as a badass by stretching the rules and skipping classes to hook up with guys or girls, Charlie totally saw through her tough exterior. She was a big teddy bear through and through. Max couldn't hide the concern in her eyes from him as she glanced towards him, obviously worried about what was going on with him.