CHAPTER ELEVEN

★★★

"And what are you gonna do, when it all falls down?"

★★★

Remus Lupin has had a pretty crappy life. No, he was never one to whine about the things of his past, but it was undeniable that the boy had drawn the short straw multiple times in his life.

Being bitten by a werewolf at age four had its complications. He constantly feared for his safety, from others who might expose the truth he had hidden for so long, and from himself during the full moon. 

There were few saving graces in Remus' life. His friends, for one. He had originally been terrified of them knowing the truth, but the three boys were nothing if not observant. They had realized the truth and unanimously agreed that if there was one person on the earth that didn't deserve to have this large burden on his shoulders, it was the small, kind boy they had for a roommate.

And so they had become Animagi.

They had kept their plan to become Animagi a secret from Remus, and when he had realized what they were willing to sacrifice for him (going to Azkaban as unregistered Animagi, or physical safety if their plan didn't work,) he couldn't believe it.

Tears of disbelief and amazement (and love) streamed down Remus face as he blinked owlishly at the three boys he called his best friends.

He hadn't been planning to come to Hogwarts in the first place. Being the first werewolf at the school had its social limits, and he certainly wasn't expecting to make friends, especially not the three brave, exceptional boys in front of him.

To think that he could have any friends shocked him. But to have friends that were willing to risk everything to help him with his 'furry little problem' amazed him.

"But, w-why? Why would you do that for me?"

James, Sirius, and Peter looked at each other in sync, then back at Remus.

Thirteen year old James rolled his eyes, walking over to Remus' bed, and wrapped his arms around the crying boy in a bear hug. 

"You're our best mate, Rem. You don't give yourself enough credit," James comforted, "besides, you'd do the same for any of us."

The stag, dog, and rat kept the wolf company in the 'Shrieking Shack' once a month, and James, Sirius, and Peter kept Remus company in the Hospital Wing once a month.

The three boys were his guiding light during the full moon, and despite his original aversion to their plan to be with him on those nights, he was secretly grateful for them being there. It lifted the burden slightly off his shoulders, and it helped not to wake up alone on those nights.

Besides, Remus doesn't think he'd be able to stop the boys for coming along if he'd tried.

Remus had thought his life was going uphill, with his best friends by his side and his crush finally (!) paying attention to him, when he had gotten the letter.