CHAPTER TWELVE

★★★

"Yeah, I could spend a lifetime, just sitting here, talking

"Yeah, I could spend a lifetime, just sitting here, talking."

★★★

Charlie Atkinson had figured out the hard way that, occasionally, it may be possible to eat too much fudge. Who can blame him though? It's Christmas!

The boy was currently sat in front of the brightly decorated tree, stomach filled to the brim with the chocolate sweet, smiling at the scent of fresh pine and cookies wafting through the air. The windowsills were nearly overflowing with freshly fallen snow, and Lauren was occupying herself with drawing funny faces in the foggy windows.

Charlie's brother, Jake, and his fiancée Amy had a kid while his was away at school. It was strange to see his brother, who was usually so reckless and irresponsible, hold his tiny four month old son like he was holding the most precious thing in the world.

Amy, Charlie's mom, and his grandmother were all in the kitchen, while the rest of the families loud laughter boomed through kitchen. Which, in turn, left Charlie and his nephew Thomas in the living room to entertain each other.

Charlie bounced the baby on his knee, turning his hair different shades of blue and green. He let out a bright laugh at the way Thomas' eyes would widen, his small stubby fingers clasped out to try and grab his hair.

Charlie was slowly coming to terms with his situation. His midlife crisis, as he had coined it (although he was only seventeen), was slowly fading into the back of his head.

He may just be the sum of random people's parts, but wasn't everyone? People unknowingly adopt the aspects of those around them all the time. Hang around bad influences, you'll turn bad, and vice-versa. The only difference was that he physically being influenced by them.

It often happened that he would be out in public, subconsciously note that he liked a certain person's hair color, only to come home and find it on his own head. There was no telling what other aspects he might have unknowingly taken when he was a little kid, never to be changed back due to unawareness of the situation. And he was still coming to terms with that, but he was getting better.

(Of course, it still lurked in the back of his head, the idea that he may never be his true self.)

He wasn't as afraid to use his 'powers', as Lauren called them, anymore. Metamorphagus or not, Charlie was still just Charlie. And so he figured that there was no harm in changing his nose to look like a pig's in order to entertain his nephew, so long as his grandmother didn't notice.

His grandparents, along with the rest of his extended family, were being kept in the dark about his whole 'magic' situation. They thought he had been accepted to a fancy Scottish boarding school, but they had no idea just how wrong they were. Which was why he had to make sure his grandparents weren't watching when his nephew laughed at his newly rainbow colored hair.