prologue

It's been a half a week since I got off the plane from Texas to Seattle. I've already paid deposit and first months rent, which both were high as fuck, but now I have 24 more days to find a job.

Stupid of me, I know. Definitely not all rainbows and sunshine if you spend more than half of your 4 paycheck savings, just to afford an apartment.

The curtain less window reveals itself against my sage green walls. My legs outstretch beyond the deflated air mattress. If you're wondering, no, I'm not tall, she's just a wild sleeper.

A huge appalling grunt of aggravation fills the room. My sore body thumps off the right side of the flimsy plastic on to the cool breezed floor.

It's not fair that I moved all the way out of state, with no research on anything or new glasses for that matter. So now, I am currently crawling against bruising, speckled floor to find my dinging phone. Having large boobs and a gut didn't help me move any faster, it only rolled my night shirt like a hammock.

After a moment of laziness and stupidity, my legs brought on the full 5'3 and a decimal that I don't remember, carrying my dusty body to the active LG.

The time was almost nine in the morning, the nerve that my phone had to disturb my four hours of toss, turns, and home sick cries!

The smooth wall made a great pillow for my forehead as I lean my body forward looking down at my dented phone.

I scan through my emails filled with job search, college and shopping deals on Groupon. I sigh looking at the apartment's name, preparing my eyes for a noise complaint. Anger issues gets the best of people's at night.

Alfonsi Luxury Apartments

From: management@ala.com

Concerning Rent
For Apt #174 (2br/1bth)

Ms. Wilson,

Please stop by the office to collect a refund check today.

Ruben Alfonsi

Relief washes out the anxiety in my stomach. Two bedrooms were perfect for a studio for my art projects or whatever I feel like doing in the moment. Artists needs as much space as we can get or we'll go crazy.

The half empty closet creaks convincing me to wear a tan cropped tee and ripped skinny jeans.

Placing the outfit on the door knob, I yawn, stretching once more. The sounds of my feet padding across the cheap flooring was heard through the half empty apartment. I open the door to my destination flicking on the light switch. I briefly glance at the toilet but jumping at my reflection in the mirror.

"The disrespect is evident today." My eyes squints while I turn the knob to the high pressured faucet.

««»»

Once satisfied with my reviving morning routine, patting my curls for a straight 10 minutes, I finally left the quiet room. Right now, I'm resisting the urge to kick my air mattress. Not out of anger, but exhaustion. I stride through the living room grabbing my door key attached to my lanyard and my purse on the dark granite island counter. Exiting the apartment, locking the door, I sprint down the hall to the elevator bumping into someone, a tall someone.