One

"You can't resign!"

My chief stood, outraged at my letter. I sat in my chair, passive.

"Chief Gunner, with all due respect, you pinned me with a Senator that is well hated, and you knew that I hated, and I took a bullet for, and nearly died." I said, remaining calm. "I was back to work in two and a half weeks when I was supposed to have a month off. I resign, and I want my last check."

"I'll double your salary, Leysa. Please, stay."

"There is no amount of money that could make me stay, Gunner." I told him, standing up. "Please, just give me my check."

"What do you want? Anything! You're my best guard! I can't lose you!"

"I wanted a stable client!" I lost my cool with him. I never lost it with him and he must have seen how much this was wearing down on me. Not even he knew about what happened in Iraq. It was labeled CONFIDENTIAL, and locked away. The only thing they were accessed, was that I served one tour, I was MARSOC, my rank, my squadron, and my discharge status. That was it.

"I have a position that just opened up... it's a stable client. Live-in Bodyguard. Former Navy SEAL turned Billionaire, took over his father's legacy. He has two outside the house, one live in." He took the file and handed it to me. The face was very familiar.

And I studied it for a moment.

Years served: 2004-2014
Squadron: S092

It added up.

"Scorpio..." I breathed. How'd he come up as a client? I looked up to this man in high school. He was why I joined the military. He had a firm stance on allowing women in military and Spec-Ops, and he had a little over the number of confirmed kills that I did.

"Yes, that's him. He has two that go with him outside, one that stays at the house. Three armed guards on property at all times. He pays double salary, and he provides all living costs. Johnson is not retiring for five more days, it'll give you enough time to move in if you accept it." My apartment would just be rented out by another guard. Our company furnished it, aside from bedding and cutlery/plating. They had their own housing if we could not afford our own, and it was only $400 out of our check a month.

"Did he request me?" I asked, looking more in depth at his profile. He looked very, very closely like Hades. It made my throat thick, bringing back memories.

"He asked for former military only. I told him I'd send my best." I held the keys to my issued suburban in my hand. "Please, Leysa. For the both of us."

I thought about it. A stable client, one that I had been asking for for the last six months... but he reminded me of the man I had dearly loved and lost...

"I'll do it."

*

I started packing some gear up to start, mostly my rifles that I was not leaving behind.

I ran my hands over my Saint Edge, my newest Edition to my rifles, which had been sericoated with a tattered flag, engraved with my code name. I ran my fingers over it. Firehawk. 7/2/14 The day I lost my squad. The day I carry my burden the most.

I put it in its case with my AK, and my 458, then put my other handguns in another case, closing the safe. I reset the PIN number on the Biometric lock, clearing the fingerprints. Packing up three bags of clothes, and toiletries, I put them in the suburban and then went to his property to meet him.

*

I called Johnson, who opened the door for me. It's been a while since I'd seen the old coot, but I had all the respect in the world for him.