Eighteen

*NO SCHEDULED UPDATE.*

I was already on the verge of a breakdown, and we only just started replacing my medication.

At the VA, I couldn't stop bouncing my leg. Paranoia swept into my mind, anxiety making it hard to breathe.

"Romera?" I was called back. I swallowed heavily as Mason and I stood up. The usual questions went on, and then came the moment of truth. If he'd faint or not.

"There's your little jellybean." The doctor pointed it out. I felt Mason's hand go cold, and looked over to find him hitting the floor. The doctor only laughed, breaking out the smelling salts to wake him up. "You don't get to faint on me, Clairmont." She helped him sit in the chair. "Everything looks to be fine... I'm concerned about your medications, though."

"I'm already cutting back." The bouncing returned to my leg, which didn't slip past her.

"Are you scheduled to speak to a psychologist at a minimum of once a week?" I nodded. "Do you have a support system at home?" Again with the questions and nodding. "Alright... Be back in a month... Call if you have any signs of spotting, cramping, or even if you feel a bit out of place." She gave me her card. I swallowed but nodded again.

Back at the house, the paranoia became worse. Like I was being watched. Something was watching me. Someone...

"Sweep clear." I heard from the radio, but it didn't calm my nerves. Mason came back with dropper full of what looked like almost tar, and made me take it. It tasted like dirt, but he did bring a Gatorade to wash it down.

"I know that look." I just curled into myself, waiting for the CBD to take effect. "Talk to me, Leysa."

M

"I feel like I'm being watched." Spitfire came up on the sofa, trying to make her uncurl and get into her lap. She let him in, and held him tightly.

"Tell me who you think is watching you." I asked of her.

"It's... It's just that we have so many enemies." She muttered. "The two break-ins... the office..." I rubbed her arm.

"The guards are on constant sweeps. Updates hourly unless we're asleep or it's an emergency." I reassured her. "It's the paranoia, Leysa. You're safe here with me, Agnes, and Spit." The dog whined softly, reassuring her. "How about I order some of your favorite, and we kick back with a movie?" She nodded, closing her eyes.

We made it through dinner, and the night. When I got up for work in the morning, Leysa wasn't anywhere to be found. She never got up before I did...

I checked her old room, the garage, outside...

"Leysa's in the workout room." Agnes called out, handing me a cup of coffee. "Spit is off on his morning run around the house, giving the guards some love, and sweep was clear." I rubbed my face.

"Thanks." I went up stairs, finding Leysa doing squats with a maximum of 20lbs on the bar.

"You're never awake before me." She pushed three more reps before putting the bar on the bench.

"I was restless." She took a towel, wiping the sweat from her face.

"Shouldn't you be resting?"

"Doctor said I could workout minimally." She wasn't snappy, but she sounded disturbed and was answering in one sentence.

"What's on your mind?" She stopped toweling off.

"Stuff I can't talk to you about." I leaned against the doorway.