Twenty One

One Year Later.

M

It was little Shawn's first birthday. I watched as Leysa got her dressed, doing her hair into a little puff on the top of her head.

The hardest part of being a mother to her was post-partum. I held her through many, many breakdowns, and it hurt me so much to see it, that I wanted to breakdown, as well.

But now...

"Voila!" Shawn giggles and clapped as Leysa held the brush and her hands up. "All done!" I smiled as she wobbled over, kissing Leysa on her cheek. She was still learning to use her legs, but none the less, she was smart and adoring.

"Lub you mama."

"I love you too, Shawnee." She kissed her forehead, finding me watching. "But I think Daddy needs some loving." She squealed, running over to me.

"Daddy!" I scooped her up in my hands, giving her a little toss.

"Hi, baby girl." I grinned at her. "Happy birthday!" She giggled and squirmed to get down. A few of our friends were coming over today to celebrate, and Leysa had enlisted in a very supportive Mommy and Me class, where she had made some very good friends, and hopefully, some friends for Shawn. "Let's go find Nana Agnes, yeah?" Leysa got up, and we went in search of her.

Once Agnes took her for her breakfast, I snuck Leysa away, pulling her to our bedroom.

She still had her days... but they were far and few apart. Shawn was something to keep her focus on. To live on for. To try for.

But. It was hard to have any intimacy these days. This morning was the perfect opportunity.

"Mmm..." She hummed as I took her into a kiss, holding her up against the wall. "Not how we should be spending... our daughter's birthday..." she protested between kisses.

"It's just thirty minutes." I nipped her ear. She giggled, her hands knotting in my hair.

"Fine..." She sighed out as I kissed down her neck. "Shower." She purred in my ear, and I obliged.

After the shower, we got ready to face the sticky mess that usually followed pancake mornings... But Agnes seemed to bathe her and get her in her dress we had picked out for her birthday, and people began to show up. We had rented a Princess bouncy house for her, and all the kids would join in.

Hours of talking, eating, laughing, a few bumps but no bruises, cake, and presents... We were all exhausted. Leysa has deflated the bounce house for the rental guys to pick up tomorrow and Johnson and his wife were helping tear down the decorations.

"Now that all the kids are gone and Shawn is asleep..." Leysa pulled our beers for us, cocktail mixes for her and Lilian. "I think it's acceptable to be drinking now." We all sat down on the porch chairs, enjoying the night and the cooling fall air.

"I remember when she was born... The year has gone by so fast." Leysa frowned.

"It's only going to go by faster... They never stop growing." Lillian smiled somberly. "I remember when Jacob left the nest... I was crying for days. The house felt so lonely... But at the same time, I was so proud of him. He comes by at least once a week for dinner, his wife is a sweetheart... I just wish I had more than eighteen years."

I had changed the subject to avoid Leysa falling into a depression, but once they left, she immediately went to Shawn's room, stroking her hair.

"Leysa?" She just stroked her hair.

"I don't want to be like my mother..." She said, her voice deathly quiet. "Cold. Uncaring. Unwanting..." I went over to her and Shawn. I kissed Shawn's forehead and straightened. "She never asked for me... Not even after I left." Tears formed in her eyes and I pulled her into my arms. "I don't want to fail her..."

"There is nothing you could do to fail her, Leysa. Absolutely nothing." I murmured, kissing her forehead. "You have been such a good mother... And there's absolutely nothing that puts you in the same position as your own. I have seen nothing but love and adoration to her... And I know the years are going to fly by... But it will be worth it to see her be successful." I looked back over at Shawn. "And that right there... That is our pride and joy. A symbol of hope deriving from our struggles. Our light in the darkness... And we will be bawling like babies when she leaves the nest in seventeen years, but we will know we did everything to raise her right... And that she is always welcome back." I felt her hiccup a sob. "I also don't want her to be our only..."

"I don't either... But I don't know if I can go through it again." She sniffed, looking at Shawn. "The pregnancy took so much out of me... And post partum... I almost killed myself three times because it was so bad..." I tightened my arms around her.

"I know... I know, Leysa." I put my face in her fiery hair. "I know."

*

The years flew. They flew too fast.

"James Avery Clairmont!!!!" Leysa screamed after our teenage son. "Why the HELL is there a condom BEHIND THE COUCH?!" I sputtered out my coffee. I had just gotten back from a business trip to Israel and Leysa and I found the place trashed. Agnes had retired two years ago and it was time for us to do things ourselves.

"Get your ass down here, now!" She looked to me, outraged. "You deal with this." She handed me the wadded paper towel and stomped off.

"Why me?" I called after her.

"MEN AND THEIR DICKS. THAT'S WHY!" I shook my head, tossing the paper towel in the trash, then washed my hands.

Kids. What can you do?

And thus is the end of Leysa and Mason's story. Thank you for all the love and support this story has received. It is finally finished, and it makes my heart feel fulfilled that I could finish this story. I have been doing so much since I started this, and originally, I had planned for a completely different ending... I quit my job as security at a good time. Protesters are targeting any form of law enforcement instead of remaining peaceful. I had quit security after Fort Worth PD refused to answer my call for help when I was held at gun point in uniform. I work Monday thru Friday now at a stable job that doesn't test my patience or requires me to be in charge. It's wonderful, actually. It gives me the weekend to write again.

I hope to get all of my stories updated soon.

Keep an eye out for Shawn's story! Going live soon!