Chapter Three

Defense Against the Dark Arts was something that I was not looking forward to. Harry's been telling me about how Lockhart seems to be appearing out of nowhere and trying to teach him to be famous, which just by the face that he has when he talking, I can tell it's the most annoying thing in the world to him. There is also the small thing of a Gryffindor that goes boy the name Colin Creevey, who has been following him around as well. I can kind of understand since no matter where I go there's always a few Slytherins watching me, most likely wanting to see the Slytherin attitude, as they've been calling it, which is driving me nuts.

"Sambi, am I the only one who thinks this Defense Against the Dark Arts class is going to go terribly wrong?" I asked her as I sat next to her.

"Nope."

"Great..."Just then Lockhart's office door opened with of course said, person, standing there smiling away like an idiot, dressed in salmon pink robes.

"Let me introduce you to your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Me," He said, causing Sambiance and I to give each other a 'really' look before we looked back up at him. "Gilderoy Lockhart..." he started descending the stairs. "...Order of Merlin, ThirdClass...honorary member of the Dark Force Defense League...and five times winner..." he winked at a portrait of himself, which winked back. "...of Witch Weekly's Most-Charming-Smile Award." I inwardly groaned when he flashed a smile at us.

"ButI don't talk about that. I didn't get rid of the Bandon Banshee by smiling at her," he said, smiling again, which caused me to have to resist the urge to facepalm. "I see you've all bought a complete set of my books. Well done," he continued when he saw we weren't laughing with him. "Now, I thought we'd start today with a little quiz.

'What?'

"Nothing to worry about," Lockhart said, as he started passing out the papers, most of the girls silently fangirling as the boys just seemed confused. "Just to check how well you've read them. How much you've taken in." I skimmed over the questions and almost gagged at the fact that all the questions were about him.

'Can he be any more of a narcissist!?'

"Why?"I heard Sambiance mumble.

"I don't know and I don't want to know, though there's one thing I do know."

"What's that?" I looked at her with a small smile.

"I'm so going to fail this." She grinned a little before Lockhart'svoice caught our attention.

"You have thirty minutes. Start...Now" And with that, we started. When the time was up he collected them and corrected each one.

"Tsk. Tsk. Hardly any of you remembered that my favorite color is lilac," he said, once he finished. "But Miss Hermione Granger knew that my secret ambition is to rid the world of evil and market my own range of hair-care potions. Good girl," he said, winking at her.

'Is class over yet?' I thought as he pulled a cage, covered in a red cloth.

"Now, be warned. It is my job to arm you against the foulest creatures know wizard-kind," Lockhart said, taking his wand out and tapping the covered cage, causing it to start to shake. "You may find yourselves facing your worst fears in this room. Know only that no harm can befall you whilst I am here. I must ask you not to screams. It might provoke them." With that, he pulled the red cloth from the cage reveling, at least ten Cornish pixies, which Seamus pointed out.

"Freshly caught Cornish pixies," Lockhart said, causing Seamus to laugh as well as a few to smile a bit. "Laugh if you will, Mr. Finnegan, but pixies can be devilishly tricky little blighters. Let's see what you make of them." My eyes widened when he opened the cage, releasing the little, blue, mischievous creatures. In an instant half the class, including myself ran out of the classroom, swatting the pixies with their books or hands.

"What the hell was he thinking, releasing those things," I asked when the class ended. Eventually, the Cornish pixies were caught thanks to Hermione using an immobilizing spell, after Lockhart ran back in his office with his tail between his legs. Once that was done we had gone back in the classroom and all we did was read his books though I think Sambiance and I were the only ones who choose to sleep instead.

"I don't think he was," she replied, causing me to chuckle. The next few days were as quiet as they could be with Malfoy causing problems with the trio and with me somewhat being followed by a few noisy Slytherins. Sambiance and I have moved from acquaintances in the same house to friends though she did seem a little reluctant about it, not that I blame her. I mean, I'm a pure-blood, which normally they look down on any witch or wizard that are half or less. We were making ourway to the library.

"Oh no," I said, noticing the Slytherin and Gryffindor Quidditch teams, as well as Ron and Hermione. "Do you mind if we make a quick stop?" I asked her. She looked at what I was before she sighed.

"Let's make this quick." When we got over there I saw Oliver Wood, who was the captain and Keeper of the team reading a note.

"I Professor Severus Snape, do hereby give the Slytherin team permission to practice today, owing to the need to train their new Seeker," he read, causing Sambiance and I to give each other a confused look."You've got a new Seeker. Who?" The Slytherin team parted allowing their Seeker to step forward, causing almost all of us around to have wide eyes.

"Malfoy?" Harry said, slightly chuckling at the end.

"That's right. And that's not all that's new this year," he said, movinghis broom so it was resting against the front of his right shoulder. Looking at the sleek black brooms, my eyes went wide.

"Those are Nimbus 2001s."

"How did you get those?" Ron asked, finishing for me.

"A gift from Draco's father," Flint answered, causing me to roll my eyes.

'Of course.'

"You see, Weasley, unlike some, my father can afford the best," Malfoy said. I glared at him.

"At least no one on the Gryffindor team had to buy their way in. They got in on pure talent," Hermione spoke.

'Have to give her that one,' I thought as the Slytherin team glared at her. Malfoy moved so he was standing right in front of Hermione before he spoke.

"No one asked your opinion, you filthy little Mudblood." There were a few gasps from the Gryffindor team and I could practically feel the hate rolling off Sambiance in waves.

"You'll pay for that one, Malfoy. Eat slugs!" Ron said. Before I could stop him he was sent flying back thanks to his broken wand, causing Hermione and the Gryffindor team to go running over to him. I turned to follow only to stop when I heard a loud crack accompanied by a few gasps. Turning back around I saw Sambiance walking away with a dark aura following her as well as an unconscious Malfoy, and a few shocked Slytherins.

'What just happened?' I thought, looking in the direction Sambiance went back to Malfoy. I heard the Gryffindor team groan, causing me to look only to see Ronpuking up slugs.

'Eww.'

"Wood," I called causing said person to look at me. "Take your team and go practice–" I motioned to Malfoy. "As you can see, we won't be practicing until our Seeker wakes back up. Harry, Hermione and I'll take Ron to Hagrid, he may know what to do–" I turned to the Slytherin team "You should take him to the Hospital Wing." I walked over to where Ron and helped him stand with a bit of help fromHermione. I started walking away only to stop and looked at the Slytherin team who had gotten Malfoy off the ground.

"Oh. And Flint," I said, causing him to look my way. "If I found out any of you did something to Sambiance, you'll find yourself waking up in the Black Lake." And with that we left, avoiding any slugs that Ron had puked up on the way.