Chapter 2

April 29th... exactly three months after my father said he would announce my title and three months until the Alpha Conference actually began. It was finally my 18th birthday and my mother was busy setting up for my party. To accommodate for all of the pack members and guests coming, the party was going to be held in the clearing behind the pack house. A werewolf's 18th birthday was a big deal for a werewolf for a lot of reasons. Besides being a legal adult in the human world, 18 is the age when a werewolf is first able to sense their mate. An Alpha's 18th signifies getting serious about taking responsibility of the pack. An Alpha's 18th birthday was a party to rival all parties. They were known for being huge and crazy, and from the looks of it, my party was going to be no exception.

"What are you doing here? You should be home getting dressed," my mom said, appearing out of nowhere. I was stuck in a trance though. All these people decorating and cooking for me was kind of weird. My mom pushed me out of my trance. I snapped out of it and took a step back.

"Alright, alright, I'm going," I chuckled. My mom was a petite but stubborn woman. Even up against an Alpha who was taller and stronger than her, she still acted like the biggest and toughest person in the world. I left the clearing and walked back to my house. It was a short walk from the pack house. I stepped into the house and made my way up to my room. I sighed as I closed the door. I hesitated when I saw Jessie sitting on the edge of my bed. He held up a small black box in his hands and stood when he saw me.

"Happy birthday, Kenny," he smiled, holding the box towards me. I frowned as I began to think of an argument about Jessie wasting his money on me, but he saw it coming and beat me to it.

"Jessie-"

"Nope, no arguing, Kenny. I know you told me not to get you anything, but it's your 18th birthday and you beat me to it. That's a big deal. I had to get you something special. Just open it," he cut me off. He was actually nervous which is what made me bite my tongue. I sighed, sparing him the lecture, and just opened the box. A shiny silver pendant necklace with a small diamond off-centered greeted me. I opened the locket to find two shrunken pictures of Jessie and me. One was of us covered in mud at a soccer game we ran away from, and the other was a photo booth picture of us. I was looking directly at the camera laughing while Jessie kissed my cheek. I smiled gently before looking back to Jessie.

"It's beautiful, Jessie. Help me get it on," I asked. I turned and moved my hair aside as Jessie latched the necklace at the back of my neck. I let go of my hair and touched the pendant gently. I turned and hugged him tightly.

"I wanted you to always have something to remember me by. No matter what happens, I'll always have your back. You know that right?" He said. I chuckled and kissed his cheek.

"I know, Jess. You know what, let's make a pact," I said. He looked confused but I was set on my idea. "I know that tonight I'm supposed to be able to sense my mate for the first time, and I really hope it's you, but in the event that it's not, let's make a pact that it we don't find our mate, or we do and we don't like them, we'll be each other's chosen mates," I said. He looked surprised at first but then he smiled.

"You want me to be your chosen mate?" He asked. I shrugged.

"If you're not already my fated one," I added. He chuckled and shook his head.

"You're crazy, Kenny. You're talking about possibly rejecting our mates," he reminded me. I sighed and wrapped my arms around his neck.

"Jessie, I love you. There's no one else who could ever take your place by my side," I said honestly. He thought about it for a moment before he chuckled and shook his head at me.

"Okay, deal," Jessie smiled softly.

"I should get ready for the party," I said, moving to my closet.