Chapter 18

After Leo took Micah out to go fishing, it was just Kai and me at the house. He helped me clean our dishes from breakfast and then we went to his room. Even though I knew where it was, I hadn't actually seen it yet. It was definitely the master bedroom. There was enough space for a seating area as well as the normal bedroom furniture. He had a king sized bed and large television in there as well. An en-suite was connected to the room by a door and he even had a walk in closet.

"This is my room," he motioned to it. "Since you insist on staying in today, we could pick a show or movie and just relax," he offered.

"I can get behind that plan,"I agreed. I sat on the couch facing the television as Kai picked up the remote and sat beside me. It didn't take us long to agree on a show. I relaxed slightly.

"Are you feeling at least a little better now?" Kai asked after a while. I sighed before I leaned my head over on his shoulder and pulled my feet under me.

"A bit," I breathed.

"And your Princess Complex?" He asked. I paused before I sat up to look at him.

"Princess Complex?" I asked. He smirked before he shrugged.

"I'm just calling it like I see it. I respect you enough to be honest with you. You say you went through Alpha training, but all it did was turn you into a Princess. You want what you want, when you want it, exactly how you want it. I think that's fair to say," he explained. I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair as I looked away from him.

"Let's stop here before I get angry with you," I scowled before I stood. Kai caught my wrist to stop me.

"You're mad at that?" He asked. I glared at him before I stared at his hand on my wrist.

"Wouldn't you be?" I countered. He pulled on my wrist, making me sit in his lap.

"Don't be mad. I'm just telling you now before you hear it from somewhere else," he said. It didn't make me feel any better. Mostly because I knew he was right. I did always want things my way, and I never compromised... until recently.

"But I let you remark me. Is that apart of my Princess Complex?" I asked rhetorically.

"Yes, because I had to fully breakdown for you to even notice me," he countered. He was right, but I didn't like it.

"Let me go," I sighed, irritated.

"So you can run away?" He asked raising an eyebrow at me.

"What is with you?" I asked as I tried to pry his arms off my waist.

"I just want to get all our fights out of the way now so we can live comfortably," he admitted without missing a beat. I stopped fighting him and just looked at him. He was being completely serious. In a way, I understood. I'd done nothing but fight with him since we met. Airing our grievances out now would mean we could put it behind us as long as we didn't cross the line.

"Okay, I'll play," I gave in.

"Who is Olivia to you? She seemed awfully proud of you," I asked.

"She's a pack member who joined late. She's like that because she's grateful to me. She owes me her life, but all of my pack members are proud when it comes to me," he explained.

"What finally made you decide to let me mark you?" He asked.

"I overheard your conversation with your mother and realized the true extent of your suffering. After my mom told me I wasn't welcome back, I had nothing else to lose," I admitted.

"Why are you always so nice to me? I've been horrible to you," I asked. He shrugged.

"What's the point in hurting you back? You already resented me, I didn't want to add to the fire," he answered. We were both quiet for a moment as we looked at each other.

"Is that all? You don't have anything else?" I asked. It didn't make any sense. If we went back to when we first met, he should have a lot to say, but he sat there quietly.

"Everything else, I already understand," he replied. I sighed and made a move to get off of his lap.

"Wait. I have one more," he stopped me as his arms tightened on my waist. I looked at him expectantly. "When will you start treating me like a real mate?" He asked.

"What do you mean?" I asked confused. He sighed and looked away for a moment before his eyes caught mine again.

"I mean, you don't acknowledge me. You don't let me touch you. You're always keeping a distance. You're... cold," he explained. Looking back at my actions, I saw what he was talking about, but it was hard to just flip a switch like that.

"I..." I started but I had no idea what to say. Instead, I brought my lips to his in a gentle kiss. I let my eyes close as my hand held his cheek. I could tell that I caught him off guard, but soon he was kissing me back. My heart thumped loudly as his hands secured themselves on my waist. He moved me off of his lap to hover above me. Our lips reacted like magnets: even if I wanted to pull away, my body wouldn't allow it. My arms wrapped around his neck in an attempt to pull him closer. His kisses were like a drug, and I felt high. His lips traveled down the length of my neck to suck gently on the mark he left. My whole body began to blaze with desire. He fingers grazed the skin under my shirt.

"Kai... Wait," I breathed. I didn't actually want him to stop, but I knew I had to regain some sort of control over this situation. He froze where he was and I let out a sigh. I was still hesitating. The truth was, I was scared and nervous being around him.