Chapter 8

I peeled out of the garage down the narrow path. Jessie and my dad were still holding off wolves at the front of the house, but at the sight of the car, a few began to trail us. I couldn't very well stop the car to fight them. My hand hit the steering wheel as I tried to think of what I could do.

"Damn it!" I yelled. They were getting closer.

"I'm scared," Micah cried in a small voice.

"Just close your eyes, Micah. It'll be over soon, I promise," I tried to calm him down. He closed his eyes but that didn't stop his tears from falling. The wolves got closer, running beside the car. I was at a loss for what to do until another wolf yanked them into the tree line one by one. I could tell it was the same wolf that followed us before, but it wasn't a wolf from Rigor Moon. What exactly was going on here?

Finally, we made it to the city limits with no wolves trailing behind us. I slowed down to match the flow of traffic as we continued on the the airport.

"Micah, it's okay to open your eyes now," I said with a sigh. We were surrounded by civilians... civilians that weren't allowed to know about the existence of werewolves, which meant that we were safe for now. After half an hour, we finally made it to the parking garage of the airport. I took a breath and allowed myself a second to just sit there. As I reached towards the duffle bag, a sharp pain started where Jessie's mark was. It burned with a pain I couldn't even begin to explain. I bit my lip with a grunt as to not scream and scare Micah, but the sensation left me breathless. It felt like something was being torn from my chest.

No. It couldn't be.

I tried to mind-link Jessie and got nothing in return. I felt my eyes start to water before trying my dad.

What's going on? Where's Jessie? I asked my dad.

I'm sorry, Kennedy. Jessie is gone. But now is not the time. Everyone is still fighting, but they've seemed to notice you missing. You get on that plane, my dad answered. I held the steering wheel with my hands as my head rested on the faux leather. It couldn't be true. Jessie was stronger than that. There's no way he was vested by those wolves. One of my hands touched my neck gently.

I felt nothing. No bond, not lingering effects, no Jessie. He was really gone. I tried to pull myself together as I grabbed our bags and let Micah out of his car seat, taking the seat with us too. I grabbed our tickets and checked the location as our bags were checked.

Hawaii.

I quickly remembered that Kai lived there. Just what exactly were my parents thinking?

It wasn't long before we boarded the plane and took off. It was only then, that I allowed myself to cry quietly in the dark cabin. Micah was knocked out, exhausted from the day as his head rested on my lap.

My pack, my best friend and mate, and my chances at Alpha were all gone. I had nothing but my brother left. That reality hit me like a ton of bricks. I eventually passed out from exhaustion myself. What was the point anymore?

"Welcome to Oahu. We hope you enjoy your stay with here and have a great Aloha day," the flight attendant's voice beeped over the cabin, waking me from my repeated nightmares. I say up straight and looked around confused. We were already here? It was an eight hour flight, but it didn't seem like I slept that long. I gently woke Micah before undoing his car seat from the chair. Once the traffic eased up a bit, we stepped into the aisle to get off the plane. I stuck the duffle bag in the car seat as Micah stuck right by my side, holding on to the cloth of my jeans nervously as we heading to baggage claim for our suitcase. I froze when I saw a familiar face. It made my heart jump in embarrassment and something else.

He stood there with his hands in his pockets, looking completely bored as someone stood next to him. His hair was pulled up in a bun and his skin was more sun-kissed than it was before. His brown eyes bore into me. I inched closer, feeling even more distraught and off guard than I'd ever been in my life.

"Did you have a good flight?" He asked. I couldn't even answer. The guy standing next to him took the duffle bag and car seat from me before he disappeared. Micah hid behind me leg cautiously. I didn't blame him. After what we'd just been though, I'd have a hard time trusting people too. However, I was still curious as to how we ended up here with Kai.

After waiting for our last bag, we got in a car and Kai drove us away from the small airport. I sat in the back with Micah as Kai's friend sat in the passenger seat. The silence was deafening.

"So how's Jessie doing these days?" Kai asked. A bout of tears sprung to my eyes without my permission as I turned to look out of the window. I sniffled and tried to cover my sounds with my hand.

"He's dead," I whispered.

We finally pulled into a mansion of a house surrounded by the most luscious greenery I'd ever seen. Micah was a little wary as we were shown to our rooms. I could understand why he didn't want to leave me. The poor kid had just been traumatized. It took some coaxing, but Micah eventually let go of me to sleep in his room. That left me to my own thoughts, and that was a scary place. Eventually I went to my room and attempted to sleep, but my sleep was full of nightmares. I was restless practically the entire night.

Finally, dawn broke through the darkness. I sat up, even though I didn't get much sleep in the first place. I got up to wander around. I couldn't be alone with my thoughts anymore or I would fall apart even more than I already was. Plus, I wanted to find Kai. The least I could do was thank him for giving us a place to stay for the time being.